What's new

How is a human Jabba possible? (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
His leg is a little big and discolored. I always wonder who takes care of these people? If he can't move who has been changing his diaper for him? That is one job I wouldn't want to have.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There was a show on one of the science channels about overly obese people. One woman was rather large, but she had problems with her legs and they did an operation to try and fix her circulation. The operation got botched and something happened with her leg veins. One of her legs blew up to over 200 lbs. (just her leg alone).

The show showed how they took away all that fat and skin from her leg.

Apparently she was an introvert (obviously) and never did anything about the leg. It was sad, but after getting rid of the leg fat, she was then able to start exercising off the weight she had put on from not being very mobile.

Obviously there is a lot of mental issues that make you get that big - and then, once you get that big, it's easy to give up hope and make things worse.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
The human body is just incredible, though. More than half a ton... and you don't just drop dead on the spot?! Wow!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Okay... maybe this guy has a hormonal problem.. but, you would think once you reach the point of being unable to get up... you might consider getting some help.

Who kept feeding this guy?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
In the program I saw, these people were at this 'fat' hospital - this one guy was bed ridden and he managed to find a way to hide cookies and chips where he could get at them. I forget where they said he got them (most likely from a friend), but he got them nonetheless.

I recall one bed ridden person had a family member who would get them fattening food. The logical thought is for the family member to stop giving this person fattening food, but I guess what the deal was, the guy wouldn't eat anything but fatty food, so the family member was guilted into giving him bad foods. The family member didn't want the guy dying of starvation, so they'd give him what he wanted.

Again, at that point, there was also something mentally wrong with the family member to not seek getting help for this guy (since he wasn't doing anything on his own).

I tend to notice that a lot of these cases are poor people who can't afford treatment. They go unnoticed and since it's cheap to buy fatty snacks, family members (who are also poor) do all they can, which unfortunately means aiding the bad health.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This just breaks my heart. Nobody should live that way. I watched this show on discovery the other day about this woman who was battling the courts over custody of her 200 lb. 8 year old daughter. They showed a social worker in her home going through her kitchen and showing the mother why a pantry stocked with nothing but sugary snacks and junk food was killing her daughter.

They made the mother write down everything the daughter would eat during a typical week and I almost fell over after seeing what she fed her on a daily basis. She ate McDonald's twice a day (breakfast and lunch), she snacked on soda, juices, fruit roll ups, candy, donuts, chips and icecream all day long. For dinner her mother would give her.... and this just knocked me out of my seat.... a 2 liter bottle of soda, fried chicken, mash potatoes and twinkies or ding dongs for dessert.

The mother said when she tried to give her healthier options the daughter would freak out and throw fits. She said she gave in to make her daughter happy.

I know once you get past a certain point it's harder to make changes in your diet and to motivate yourself to work out and eat better, but my god.... it kills me to see young children who weigh more than an average adult. It makes me want to smack their parents and tell them " Fine if you don't care about your own well being and you want to scarf down McDonald's, but give your kids a chance to live a healthy life!"

I swear Discovery does an obese show every week. Of course I watch because it fascinates me how people get the way they do.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can't even imagine being half that guys size. At my heaviest I weighed 228. And I always felt bloated and uncomfortable. Thankfully, I have lost around 44lbs. And feel a lot better.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
It's amazing how many parents feed their kids like that though. I knew a kid whose parents gave him soda while still in infancy (yes, in a bottle). Naturally all his "baby teeth" rotted out. Lucky for him that's not the only set he got...

Fortunately (I guess), most children tend to have a metabolism capable of burning through a lot of it, but there are more children getting that kind of nutriotion on a daily basis than you'd ever care to imagine.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
You know what I wonder? I wonder how callous attitudes like the poster's can be possible?

I mean, using the term "Human Jabba"? How ugly is that? We have no idea what goes on in these people's lives that causes them to get this way. I have seen shows on the topic and a lot of these people have been through some serious emotional trauma in their lives and that can be a major factor on their road to obesity. With the children that are obese, 9 times out of 10 you will see that the parents are obese. In these cases it's usually a case of bad habits in the parents beget bad habits in the children.

So maybe instead of calling these people names or guffawing in disgust, maybe sit back and think that it must be hard to be in their position and thank whomever you choose to thank that you are not in their shoes.

I constantly question, why is it that obese people are the last socially acceptable group to have slurs and words of hate thrust upon them continually?

I know obese people and guess what? They are good people despite what they eat or how they look.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Too much of anything is bad mmkay. Being that fat denotes poor self control, similar to abusing alcohol, drugs, steroids, etc... There are groups of slurs for any of these people as well.

Not saying the thread title is very politcally correct, just answering your question :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I kind of agree with Scott, while it's not appropriate to call other names, to think that 'fat' is the only group that people feel it is ok to make fun of, is just not the case.

2 examples: Bald people get made fun of & people with glasses get made fun of, and yet nobody seems to be too concerned about their feelings. We all laugh along.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's a little known fact that he did have glasses when he was little. But all the other little Hutts made fun of him so he had Lasik done awhile back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks