Directors How is a "draft" different from a tournament?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jack Briggs, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've been following this board more closely of late (that is, reading the posts in the threads), and I've been dimly aware of the draft thing. But I don't understand it quite. Can someone clue me in? Thanks!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It all works pretty much like a fantasy sports league. Each participant tries to select the best possible ‘team’—or in our case, the best set of films or directors or whatever is under consideration. At the end of the draft we vote on who has the best team.

Selections are ordered, with each odd round going 1–16 (or perhaps 8) and in each even round the order is reversed—16 down to 1, so that the disadvantages and advantages of the selection process is somewhat mitigated.

The crux of the draft is that once a selection has been made (Kubrick, for example) no one else may select that director or film (or actor).

In the early rounds you have to decide if you should select a personal favorite or if you should try to beat the rush and select what you expect to be a popular favorite.

In theory, everyone would select popular favorites to try to build a winning list. In practice most participants make selections based on criteria that is important to them.

For example in a ‘best films’ draft, I selected a film from each decade (191n–200n), did not select two films from the same country, and tried to get a wide range of film types. This resulted in a list about which most said ‘huh? I never heard of any of those films’. And my list fell on the very first round of voting.

3. Jack Briggs

Thanks, Lew. I think I get it! The conversations that develop in these threads can be interesting to read.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Yeah, but the point isn't really to win the voting, and nobody makes their selections to do that. The point is to be happy with the list you managed to snag, and Lew succeeded admirably, and frankly I've been excstatic with every list I've gotten except in the music draft [​IMG]

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Don't sugar-coat it George. Lew is a snake and is only out for blood. I have been ravaged in the foreign-draft II [​IMG]

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

But who started this new trend of "drafts"?

[​IMG]

Used to be a sea of tourneys out there. Now it's both!

Can't we come up with any NEW games?

Movie Hangman!

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Hey, you can't blame me for that one! [​IMG]

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Well, actually, I thought of a scavenger hunt game that would be really interesting to play. I'm still working out the details. Unfortunately, it would be challenging to win so I think most people would not want to play unless there was a prize involved. Maybe HTF or someone would like to sponsor it and I can had it over to them? (I'd rather play than moderate it anyway.)

9. Jack Briggs

Oh, I knew who started the draft craze. I remember when Mr. Weinberg proposed the first one about three-quarters of a year or so ago.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Clearly I'm a shameless self-promoter. [​IMG] I expected people to like the draft idea, but I'd no idea there'd soon be dozens of 'em! (That I never get invited to...) [​IMG]

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Scott,
    I wish I was around to play the game. Do you plan on doing another one?

Anyhoo, my hunt has the same concept, one clue leads to the next. But I was thinking of using different types of media.

I got the idea while watching "About a Boy" again. In one scene he is watching the "Bride of Frankenstein." I recalled that many movies have scenes where they watch another movie or mention another movie.

I figured that I could develop a scavenger hunt using that. And it doesn't have to be centered on movies either. The next clue could lead you to a music album, a website, or whatever.

For instance, I would start off with a trivia question to lead people to the movie "Scary Movie." My next clue could be 1hr 15min (or whatever the exact time is) which would queue up the scene where they parody "The Matrix." From "The Matrix" I could make the connection to "Alice in Wonderland" and so on.

The biggest drawback to the game is the effort needed, not only by the contestants but the moderator. Plus some people will have to rent movies just to be able to find the next clue. I doubt people would want to do all that if we were playing just for fun.

I'll try to work on it more when I have more free time. Maybe I could have something together in a few months.