1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

how importatnt is DVI-HDCP right now?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathan:H, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Jonathan:H

Jonathan:H Auditioning

I'm looking into buying a 34" CRT based widescreen HDTV right now. Some brands have models with and without DVI, and the difference can be a couple hundred of dollars, so I'm just wondering if I really need DVI for the next couple of years. Is there a big difference between DVI and component connections in terms of quality?

Also, what's this I hear about if you want to watch 2 channels of HDTV in PIP on your tv, you need to direct signals, or something like that? Does this mean you needs to have 2 cable signals running into your TV?

While I'm asking, does anyone have any recommendations for a 34" widescreen CRT HDTV? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck... currently looking at sony, philips, and toshiba. Thanks for any feedback!

2. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I have the Sony 34XBR800 (they now have 34XBR910) and love it. I definitely would not get a HDTV now without some sort of future connection, whether it be DVI, firewire or HDMI (?) for future upgradability.

Plus most sets only have 2 component inputs and DVD and Xbox filled those so have the DVI gives me a third HD input for my OTA HD receiver.

I can watch HD or a DVD and do PIP with satellite or what have you and retain the original aspect ratio. Most TV's needs two cables to do PIP and with HD you would need two HD receivers to see two different HD channels.

When I was looking the Sony also accepted 720p (converted to 1080i) input which was important for me and my Xbox. Not sure if the others followed suit or not.