What's new

How important is the TV to you? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I know this should be in the display section. But I wanted to see what the audio enthusiasts thought. If I had a chance to get a really good home theater without a tv, Kef XQ's. Or a good home theater system with a good tv, Mitsu 48313 and Kef Q's. What would your opinion be.

Right now I have no audio. But I have a really really cheap rca 27" tv with only coax in.. so my picture looks like crap.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
do you mean tv as in watching standard cable and movie channels, or just the actually piece of equipment. without a display device, i would argue that you don't have a home theater. you have an audio setup. i'm partial to audio first and theater second, but have combined my audio setup into a home theater due to space constraints. in my opinion, the faithful and accurate reproduction of music will always come before and video device. that's not to say that video can't be done just as wonderfully as audio, but for me, music is where it's at.

kevin t

NicholasL

Second Unit
It's strange. In home theater, most of the budget goes towards the audio gear (the dvd and vhs players, the receivers or seperates, the speakers, the amps, etc), and while the display is important, I don't think all that many spend as much time tweaking their display as much as their audio.

Isn't it funny then, that in film productions the sound department not only gets much, MUCH less time to record and engineer sound, but only gets about 10% of the production budget allotted towards them? In film school, we learned that "sound is 10% of the budget, but 50% of the experience." (tom holman told us that)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I believe the display is a big part of the home theater experience. I would get the combo you are talking about with the TV and speakers. I had a 36" TV with my gear and the sound didn't match the screen size. I bugged me so much I went and bought a 61" HD. Now things seem more balanced.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think it depends a bit on what you watch. I watch a lot of older (classic) and foreign films that have at best good 2-channel sound and often indifferent mono. So the display is very important. So much so that I’d not bother to upgrade my audio equipment (perhaps someday a new receiver), but given the right circumstances, I’d jump at getting a good front projector.

The ancillary equipment for video is also higher on my list than that receiver: a better DVD player, another HD STB, an HD Tivo-like device and an HD DVD player when then hit the market.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
After the first couple of years of exitement about this whole HT thing (tweaking the audio AD nauseum, upgrading every other month, buying stupid movies just for sound), my focus has entirely shifted to the movies themselves. As such, I am starting to find my 32" too small.

Today, I will take the larger picture and lesser sound.

But I prefer a larger collection to both :).

--
Holadem

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this should be in the display section.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And that's where you should have posted it."

But, if he had done that none of us audio people would have seen it.

I frequently see posts from folks with $3500 big screens asking what the best HTiB is under $300. Which of course I'd being doing too if I'd bought a video display first.

Now I can rationization that audio first is worth it until HDTV gets going strong and the HD-DVD format is settled. I just hope the video industry is smarter than the audio recording industry(who are doing a damn good job of killing multi-channel music) and quickly pick ONE format. I have faith the video industry is smarter since they already understand price it right and people will buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks