How important is the HD detailer in the new Sony HD sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    This is one of the differences between the KV32HS500 and the KV32HV600. What does this wideband video amp do and does it make a difference in picture quality? I trying to figure out if this feature and the adjustable DRC is worth the extra $200.

Anyone have any thoughts or input on these features?

2. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

I believe HD detailer is sony's name for a high-speed velocity scan modulator? If this is correct, it's quite an increases in sharpeness on an HD image, at least it is on projections.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I would consider the adjustable DRC to be worth $200.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Hm. Everything I read tells me how bad scan velocity modulation is and advises disabling it totally. But I don't know anything specific about Sony sets, so put that comment in the FWIW category, keeping in mind that it might not be worth much. [​IMG]
    Jan

5. Brian S

Brian S Extra

Jeff,

The "HD Detailer," as Sony calls, it is a wideband video amplifier (nothing to do with SVM in case you were worried - that's their "ClearEdge VM" which is user adjustable / defeatable). By wideband they simply mean having a wider bandwidth (higher frequency) capacity for more linear amplification of HDTV sources. Presumably this results in better detail at higher resolutions (i.e. frequencies), but probably not much of a difference vs. the HS500 for regular "lo-def" NTSC sources.

As Phil suggests, I too believe the adjustable DRC is worth the extra $200 list. I found it extremely beneficial for cable TV and moderately useful for DVD sources. I don't know how "much" DRC the HS500 "applies," but if it's anywhere near 100%, that's way too much for less than perfect cable TV and even too much for DVD (though not nearly as noticeable unless looking at test patterns).