What's new

How important is speaker wire? (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mike,
Lets not and say we did... :D
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I assure you my cables are NOT my weakest link.
It's a shame that the supporters of botique cables
actualy beleive that a $200.00 cable is superior to
anything you can build yourself. There are $50.00
worth of materials in a $200.00 cable and there are
$50.00 worth of materials in a GOOD D.I.Y cable set.
There is no "better" here fella's.. Yeah that $200.00
cable may be better than a pair of 25awg headphone wires
but I am not running junk to my speakers.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

PomingF

Second Unit
Hate to get into the midst of this but I have to share with you my recently experience.
I've been using my homemade 12 gauge Recoton OFC/AR banana plug cable for my Maggies for months while waiting for something better that's when I notice a slight rattling noise a couple weeks ago coming from the back of the left speaker with each heavy bass music note. A little investigation turned out it was the externally mounted crossover box at the back of the speaker being the culprit and the only way to eliminate the rattling was to grap hold of the crossover box firmly with my hand. I spent the whole morning last Saturday trying to remount the box using felt pads & neoprene washers without much luck and finally decided to eventually get or make some short runs of cables to disengage the box from the speaker bypassing the mounting mechanism (for those familiar with Maggies I'm sure you know what I mean) and that same day was when I received my shipment of Cat's cable from Doug. Inside the package was a pair of 2m UltraExcess silver Cable with spades @ one end & locking banana plugs the other. After some exploration I finally figured out how to use the banana plugs locking mechanism and had it hooked up b/w the Maggies & amp. My impression @ that time was - excellent quality & fitting.
At the time I was too busy making other connections and trying out other wires hence did not pay attention to the rattling but this morning when I played my favorite testing track of Jennifer Warnes' 'Way Down Deep' I noticed the rattling is gone. After a bit of inspection & wiggling things around I realized it was the UltraExcess cables' rigidity (each run with clearcoat PVC tubing bigger than the size of my little finger) & the connectors' locking mechanism basically serves the same 'hand holding the crossover box' effect that eliminated the rattling. Amazing!
Btw, initial impression of the silver cable is slightly better extension @ both ends and more open deeper soundstage. Cheers.
PF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks