How important is Speaker plugs on the wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim_, May 19, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Mar 25, 2005
    Just how import is the speaker plugs on the wires? I thought plug the wire directly to the terminal offer the best contact. Anything else would just be cosmetic and another obsticle.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    Well copper does tarnish. Look at your pennies. Might come a time when a sufficient amount has built up and you observe inconsistencies in the sound. Also, you run the risk of a stray wire, and there's plenty of threads on this, shorting out the other side. Some units handle this with grace, others may have consequences.

Bare wire is a sloppy approach and you'll not see that as a general rule. Not in your computer, your car battery cables, the wiring harness, electronic equipment, and so forth. How you terminate the wire is pretty much up to you. I happen to think that people who poke around their system are best served with banana plugs on their amps or receivers. For the speakers, you can also use banana plugs or spades. With spades, you've got to make sure the opening is big enough to get around the speaker connector.

There was a recent thread about banana plugs. Do a search or if you need a source or two, I'll dig some up. Locking ones are kind of nice [​IMG]
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I use banana plugs for all of my connections that take them. It won't add anything except convenience and a little insurance you don't have any stray strands.

BTW, you aren't supposed to list your gear in your sig.