How important is S-Video for VCR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emile, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

Jan 13, 2003
    I am assembling my HTS at the moment and I wanted to use S-video connections for my vcr but realized it only has composite. I have been through a buyers guide for A/V equipment and very few VCRs seem to have S-video; almost all that do are S-VHS recorders. I don't need an S-VHS since I am not using it for much besides watching movies and maybe taping (though I don't know if I want to pay for the expensive S-VHS tape)so I was wondering if it was worth to buy a S-VHS VCR just for S-Video? JVC sells one that I can get for $90. Is it worth the wait and the hassle?
  2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    There is one cheap JVC S-VHS VCR out there that has no S-video input. Also you need to evaluate an S-VHS VCR to check for a good comb filter for better recording of broadcasts and also you can use it as a composite to S-video converter instead of buying one of those cheap cigar shaped gadgets that compromise the picture quality.

Video hints:
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

S-VHS models are the only VCRs with S-video connections. If you tape any TV programming you will be impressed with the improved picture an S-VHS deck can deliver (if you get a decent one – the bottom-of-the-line offerings like you’re considering are not that good). The cost of the S-VHS tapes is not a major concern, because you can use them over and over. The payback is the improved picture, and most S-VHS users find that well worth the extra price.

If you don’t want the “hassle or wait” (whatever that means), you can always feed your current VCR’s composite out to a spare input of the TV and watch it that way.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt