How important is progressive scanning? Tosh 65hx83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Buhler, Dec 12, 2003.

1. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

I have waited a couple of years now to buy an HDTV compatible RPTV. (Used to have Tosh 50" 4:3 RPTV) I always thought the greatest advantage of going to an HDTV compatible TV was that I could use progressive scanning from my DVD.

Now I'm not so sure. With my new TV I still see scan lines at times (with an outdoor type scene showing sky or light blue) and the only difference between p and i is that the p lines are wider. i.e. there are fewer lines than interlaced.

I am using a Pioneer 563a dvd player set to progressive scan output. The TV is set to "film" and I swich between 540p and 1080i for comparison.

Although not calibrated I have set my brightness and contrast to low to mid 40's with sharpness the same. All processing features (SVM, ALS, flesh tone, etc are off), colour temp set to medium for now until I can get the set calibrated. ($430 here from the only place in town that is supposedly certified. Advance audio. )

Should I forget progessive output on the DVD player and set to interlaced and let the Tosh do the progressive at 540p or 1080i?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks in advance for any responses.

J.

2. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

When your dvd player outputs a progressive scan signal, i think it automatically is detected by your tv (atleast, this is the case with sony's) and you will be unable to change to interlaced or anything else anyways.

As for the jagged staircase effect, I too got this with my Denon 3800 and JVC progressive scan players -- and I realized it was because either I had the player's settings for disc reading as "auto" or "video," as opposed to "film." In your dvd player, there should be an option in your setup menu where you choose what kind of source material your dvd player will mostly be playing. it's here that i think the jagged line problem stems from. try a dvd, a specific scene, and play it with all the different settings engaged. see if they look different from setting to setting.

3. Gilbert_P

Gilbert_P Stunt Coordinator

480p-1080i with warm setting. which shows much more detail on dark sceens than medium or cool. try that.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

How do "540p" and "1080i" compare, all other things and settings being equal?

Using just the definitions of those terms, "540p" would have the scan lines of consecutive frame coinciding, occupying a total of 540 possible positions on the screen and tending to leave wider gaps between scan lines.

Alternatively the scan lines of alternating frames may be always staggered to occupy 1080 possible positions, where some blending to smooth out jagged diagonals is done only in "540p". It is not desirble to blend adjacent scan lines of 1080i since HDTV already has finer diagonals and blending scan lines will only soften the picture.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm