How important is Magnetic Shiedling in FL, FR?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kumar, Dec 5, 2003.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

how important is magnetic shielding for the front towers?
    I understand the importance of mag.sheild, but for some reason thought that all the towers and center channels always had them.

But the B&W 603s and 604s towers that I am considering for my fronts, do not specify it. Infact in their owners manual they say place these speakers 0.5 mtrs away from any devices that would interfere with the mag.field like TVs.

Should I be concerned much? considering that I am planning to invest on widescreen pretty soon. Ofcourse I can put my speakers 0.5 mts away from the TV... I guess....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This all depends upon how close you put them to your system kumar. The magnetic field from the speakers decreases in intensity according to the inverse square law. In other words, doubling the distance decreases the field strength by a factor of four. At about 2 feet, the strength of the field is virtually the same as earth's gravitational field. IOW, B&W is telling it to you straight. Now what you need to give some thought to is the placement of the center channel if it's not shielded. If it is, you can just rest it on top. Bon appetit!

3. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Chu thanks.
    The center channel series in the B&Ws are magnetically sheilded. and considering my setup I will have atleast 3-4 ft gap on either sides of my TV (hopefully, but definitely 2 ft).....
    So the absences of mag.sheild on the towers should not be a matter of interference?

Kumar

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

If you're getting widescreen, I'm assuming that you'd be getting an RPTV? If that's the case, you shouldn't have too much to worry about since the display device is at the bottom of the unit and there are no electrons on your screen, b/c it's just reflected light.

On the other hand, if it's a direct view, you would have to distance it by a foot or a foot and a half like you said.

As for specific reasoning for not shielding everything, I think it's just an extra expense that would be entirely passed onto the consumer. Maybe some sound degredation but I'm not sure b/c I think shielding is just some metal covering behind the drivers. But yeah, most people need to space out their speakers to get a wider soundstage so I guess companies do not see this as much of an issue as shielding the center channel.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - at 3-4 ft away that would not be even a remote issue.