How important is it to power surrounds (separately) for HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Jan 18, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I have a home theater only system, and I'm thinking of getting an amp such as the Stratos 3-channel to power my mains and center channel. My main question is, would I then need to buy another amp to power the surrounds, or could I just use my Marantz SR-8000 to power them? Would I be better off buying a 5 channel amp (such as that new Rotel)? Does anyone know how the SR-8000 stands up as a pre?

For Home Theater only, is it even worth it?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

In my opinion, it's not worth having external amps for the rear speakers for a HT system.

Try this: disconnect your front 3 speakers and fire up a favorite/typical DVD with only the rear speakers active. Leave the TV off and sit and read while noteing how much sound the rear speakers put out. I think your Marantz will power these just fine.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

You can use your Marantz to power the surrounds if needed. All you have too do is recalibrate your setup. If you can afford the Rotel then go for it but make sure your Marantz has correct number of pre-outs. Only problem is, you now have a receiver doing nothing but decoding. Kinda waste of a really nice powerful receiver. If you go with the 3 channel amp you could add another down the road if you move to seperates.

Kevin