How important is it to match amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grahame, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Grahame

Grahame Extra

I'll be moving into separates this summer and I almost have my amp nailed down. Since I have neither the money nor the credit, I'll just be getting 5 channels this summer for the beginnings of a 7.1 set-up but I will definatly be getting two more in the near future. How important is it that I buy amps from the same company? The amp that I want, and can afford, has no two-channel counterpart.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I suppose it's not nearly as important as matching speakers. Especially if the extra amplification is powering the rear centers.

3. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the previous poster.--Good Luck---Pete

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Although I agree with Pete and Camp I am curious what company you where refering to? What company makes a multi channel amp and not a 2 channel ?

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Outlaw doesn't make a two-channel amp.

As far as amp matching is concerned, I think the critical part of the equation is matching across the front. I also agree with a previous poster that matching speakers is highly desirable, if not essential.

Your strategy seems very safe. A solid five channel amp, then add a two-channel amp later for the back rear surround channels of a 7.1. I think you'd be very happy with that.

6. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I think just as long as the three front channels are using the same brand of amplification that you'll be alright. Rear channel amplification matching is not nearly as important in HT applications as is the front in my opinion.

7. Grahame

Grahame Extra

A+ for Bob!

Yes it is indeed an Outlaw 750 that I will (hopefully) be getting ASAP. I have mirages all across the front: 10's,C2. (All around in fact - I am such a Canadian)