How important is it to get the same brand when getting seperates?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StanleyW, Dec 17, 2002.

1. StanleyW

StanleyW Stunt Coordinator

pretty much what the above states. thanks.

2. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Well, "separates" can mean different things, so I'll try two possibilities...

For mono power amps:
    For stereo speakers, I would ensure each monoblock is an exact match for the other. I would ensure the two rear speakers are also powered by matching monoblocks. I would try to match the Center speaker to a similar amp as the two stereo speakers, but it doesn't have to be from the same manufacturer.

For preamp/power amp compatibility:
    It is absolutely meaningless to match brand names. Many audiophiles actually prefer to match a tube preamp with a SS power amp (or monoblocks). You pretty much just need to ensure the "gains" are compatible (for allowing your power amp to effectively drive your speakers).

Kevin

3. StanleyW

StanleyW Stunt Coordinator

i meant pre/pro and power amp. the reason i ask is that i really like the sunfire cinema grand amp but cannot afford the matching pre/pro too. so i was thinking about getting that amp and an outlaw 950 or something in that price range to match it up. thanks for your reply.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You can mix and match power amps and preamps no problem. The only problem you may have is that some power amps like mine have a proprietary on/off trigger. Most use a plain jane 12v trigger though. It just means that you have to leave the amp on all the time.

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Just like some people say certain amps work with certain speakers better, some people will state certain pre-amps work with certain amps better. I was just reading a review in a recent SGHT where the reviewer said at first the sound was harsh with a new pre/pro he was testing with his regular amp, but when he tried the same manufacturer's amp it sounded better. This is purely subjective though. Other than the issues Philip and Kevin mentioned there shouldn't be many reasons to stop you from doing this.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would buy the same brand of power amps especially if you run mono block amps. But for the rest of the system no you do not have to have the same brand for the entire system. IMHO you will end up with a better HT if you mix and match the best peices from differnt companies. This will allow you better flexability and also let you achive the goal you want. Also allows you to have the options you want and not be stuck with the options that one company would stick you with. I would stick with the same company on speakers as well due to the fact that the over all tone quality or timber from the speaker will be evenly matched. Giving you a more even blend from speaker to speaker. One company might make a brite sounding speaker and another company might not be as effecent. My system componant wise is a mixed system and IMHO turned out better that a system of all one brand. Not to say that there are not companies that you could not build a complete system just using there componants. Like Keith said it can be subjective and depends on the persons ears and what they like.
    Merry Christmas everyone, and have a Happy New Year [​IMG]

9. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Isn't brand independence one of the key benefits of seperates? If I thought it was important that all components be the same brand, I don't think I'd have gone with seperates in the first place.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I'm really not a pro, but I was having alot of problems (white noise, hiss, humm) when using a Yamaha RX-V3200 with a Rotel RMB-1095. I lost weeks trying to solve the problem. I got angry, sold the Yamaha, swap it with a Rotel RSP-1066...and silence heaven... no sound, no hiss, just perfect silence on all speakers...

So, was it a matter of internal groundings? I don't know. But now I will always try to brand match the pre/pro and amp.

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

13. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Evan and Philip,
    I agree with you that brand independence may not be a key benefit... at the outset. However, even if you start out with all components of the same brand, you still benefit rom future brand independence. For example, quite a few people today are buying Anthem AVM-20 processors and MCA amps. A few years from now, if Anthem is no longer a leader in the processor market they can easily easily move to whatever brand is. Or, if they want to move up to (say) a Lexicon processor, they can do so without replacing everything at once. Over the years, the brand independence provided by seperates becomes an increasingly important benefit.

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Quote:
    I often find that manufacturers design their gear to work in conjunction with one another, so do not discount the ability to have component synergy by matching the manufacturers amp with processor. Not to say that you cannot gain the same experience by going in another direction, but there is something to be said by getting the combo.
    I agree with this statement Evan. My new Ref50-Ref200.5 was one stop shop'n [​IMG]

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor