How important are Projector screens?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrettisMckinney, Jun 21, 2006.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Ive been using my Panasonic AE700 for around 12 months now and its been used on a painted white wall in the lounge. Im renting and have been pretty broke so havnt thought about a screen. To be honest the image is great..well acceptable and the main thing i notice i guess is brightness/contrast a bit lacking. Is purchasing a Projector screen going to make that much difference to the image? I live in Australia and they are NOT cheap!

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer [​IMG]

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Contrast is most affected by

(a) ambient room light, and
    (b) projector.

Brightness is greatly affected by

(a) projector and
    (b) screen.

Changing the screen may give you an improved appearance of contrast, but probably not anywhere near the cost of investment's worth, if applied to, say, an AE900 or one of the high-contrast (albiet single chip) DLP projectors.

Leo

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

While some projector owners will get a high gain screen to achieve greater brightness for a larger picture and/or wider viewing angle, others will get a gray screen which reduces overall brightness and makes a poorer black level from the projector less obvious.

A wall as a projection surface can be just as good as a "screen" if it can be finished with the desired paint or surface material and does not have objectionable surface imperfections.

4. BrettisMckinney

THanks guys. Coz im renting I dont really have an option but im about to move. So have to look for a place with a nice big wall [​IMG]
    Its just i read somewhere from a "so called" professional that a screen is a MUST and you are basically stupid if you have a projector without one. Well like i say, it looks pretty good, but i am a perfectionist, so..looks like ill start saving. Cant wait for HD to hit OZ!

5. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I build my own. If nothing else, I think it's nicer looking than just the wall. It definitely has more wow factor when people see it hanging on your wall for the first time [​IMG].

I bought screen material off ebay (110" diagonal) and built the frame and border myself. I was pretty pleased with the results!

6. BrettisMckinney

Thats awesome...not a bad idea as it will fit perfectly to your surroundings. What ive wondered though is what happens when your not watching 16:9? The image just goes everywhere?? haha..i guess im not that worried, its mostly used for dvds..but you know..makes it hard having a screen with all the ratios 2:35:1 and 1:85 etc.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I built a 4 x 5 foot frame, painted the frame black and used it to frame my painted wall (flat white paint). Then I put black curtains up on either side of the frame to cut out the ambient light and when watching 16x9 or greater just dealt with the black bars at the top and bottom as I used mine to watch TV as much as movies.

8. BrettisMckinney

Hey thats a really cool idea..and i havnt thought about blacking out the sides before. That would definately stop your eyes being distracted by white around the image. Im about to move so Im hoping I can get a place with a good sized wall like I have now. I can just see me walking into a house..seeing the lounge area...and walking straight back out..NEXT! haha.

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

deleted