How important are matching surrounds????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanJE, Apr 12, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Sorry for having so many threads.

But how important is it to match surrounds to the front speakers. Would it be a big deal to use a different brand all together in back.

2. Mark Dill

Mark Dill Stunt Coordinator

IMO not a big deal at all. I have some Sony bookshelfs that I use as surrounds and the rest of my system is B&W. The system as a whole sounds surprisingly good.

3. David Keith

David Keith Stunt Coordinator

This is purely a personal preference thing. THX says ALL speaks should be identical, which is not an option for most people. I have ran systems every which way you can. My current set up IS 7.1 with all speaks identical (except the center) and the sound is better than any previous set up with mixed speaks. But most people aren't that concerned.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IDEALLY, the speakers should all match closely, but that doesn't mean it won't work otherwise. IMO, if you listen to a decent amount of multichannel music, you will probably want them to match.

My previous setup used surrounds that were from the same manufacturer but a lower line and were not 100% matched; it sounded quite good. My current setup matches all the way around and the improvement is very apparent - I listen to a lot of music, including multichannel, though.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If 100% seamless 360-degree surround sound appeals to you, ... identical bookshelf speakers w/powered-sub is the key!

Like David Keith, I have Identical speakers anchoring my Front, Side and Rear Center Surround Channels w/voiced-matched Center!

Once I experienced my DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 blockbuster's DVD's with the above-like Mixing Studio's setup, any future upgrade will follow Dolby's recommendation. If it's good enough for the Mixing Engineer, ... why not just reproduce the same sonic 360-degree surround environment that was used to Mix our DVD's!!!

Phil

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Of course this requires you to set-up five fullrange loudspeakers in a semi-circle around a single listening position. This is unacceptlible for household where more than one person wants to watch the movie, or where the "spouse" has to look at such things. If the spouse is blind, they are more likely to run into loudspeakers situated ina semi-circle in the center of a room.

Because of this 99% of the listening public deal with much smaller, usually wall-mounted surround speakers. It is an acceptible trade for most people.

7. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I agree that ideally you should have matching speakers all around (at least the same line of speakers), but I enjoyed my mish mash of speakers immensely. In fact I had 3 different speaker brands in my old setup and I thought it was still great. I say match if you can, but if you can't do it then don't sweat mixing and matching, especially if your speakers up front are matched.

8. Phil Iturralde

Only applied in some Mixing Studio's, but for Home Theater ... the following from Dolby website ...

Room Layout and Speaker Setup
    Dolby Digital
    5.1 Setup

This system has six channels: five full-range channels, and a low-frequency effects channel (the .1 of 5.1) usually expressed through a subwoofer. Many DVDs and digital broadcasts feature a Dolby® Digital (5.1) soundtrack, so this will give you optimum sound for most programming. It also most closely approximates the sound in most cinemas.
    [​IMG]

Dolby Digital EX
    6.1 or 7.1 Setup

The most advanced home theater systems feature six (with Center Back) or seven (with Left Back/Right Back) full-range channels that allow viewers to take full advantage of Dolby Digital EX soundtracks and Dolby Pro Logic® IIx matrix-surround decoding technology. Both of these processes add surround information for greater realism and more dramatic effects.
    [​IMG]

====

FYI:
    1. My 20' x 30' HT/family room overhead drawing showing my speakers dispersion pattern.

2. Typical 5.1-Channel Room Layout from Dolby Labs "5.1-Channel Production Guidelines" (2000)

Phil

9. David Keith

As Phil states: "identical bookshelf speakers w/powered-sub is the key!"

I have a powered woofer in every speaker in my 7.1 system, tho' they're not bookshelf, but powered towers AND a pair of ACI Maestro subs for REALLY THUMPIN" BASS !!!!!!!

I love it !

10. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I ask because I want to go HTD level 3's for the front and place something smaller in back, Most likely a different brand. I dont listen to music on this system only movies. I was thinking about the Athena AS-B1's in back.

11. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

IMO it's not that important. Just match up the fronts. I have mis-matched surrounds. My setup includes:
    Def Tech towers(main), Def Tech center, Klipsch Quintet surrounds(need something small), and Polk RTi 25's for surround backs(7.1). I was worried at first with the mis-match but after I hooked everything up it sounded fine.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    *NOTE: It will always sound "fine" until you hear a setup that is matched. As I said, it will work, but it's just that much better when they are matched. How picky do you want to get? "How fast do you want to go?"

13. David Keith

I certainly do NOT want to start an arguement here guys, but here is the best example I can give that will show what a matched system will sound like, at least my matched system with powered towers at every location.
    The famous "sock blowing up" scene from Monsters Inc. Just before the sock gets blown up, a helicopter comes in from the left rear of the room. When I had bookshelf speaks back there, the helicopter blades sounded like.....hhmmmm.... let's say, a very ineffective swish,swish,swish,swish, but when I put powered towers in the rear and rear centers, the helicopter blades now sounded like...SWOOSH, SWOOSH,SWOOSH,SWOOSH, in other words, it was now very low and you could almost feel the blades cutting thru your chest as the helicopter flew from the rear left of the room to center stage...and of course the sound didn't hardly change at all !!! It was one smooth transition, as tho' the helicopter itself really flew thru the room !!!
    With the small bookshelf speaks back there, the sound changed SO MUCH from the rear left, to when the front speaks took over, that the difference was like Barry Bonds before steroids and the Bonds AFTER steroids, right during mid-flight!!!Know what I mean ??? It sounded like 2 completely different helicopters.
    I hope I described this well enough to paint enough of a picture to at least give you guys an idea what I'm trying to say. Obviously, I'm not a very good writer.

14. Phil Iturralde

15. Phil Iturralde

A more sonic improvement is the 360-degree sound effect from ...

1) Dragonheart DD-5.1 - Scene, Draco (Connery's voice) discussing the old Knight's code with Dennis Quaid and wings flapping, ... about 3-times around you.
    ... a) Forced Matrix 6.1 improves the REAR Channel location with increased depth.

2) The Bourne Identity - Jason in his apartment with effects circling him about 2-times.
    ... a) Forced Matrix 6.1 improves the REAR Channel location with increased depth.

3) Pearl Harbor - morning of Dec. 7th, you first see Oahu at the background and then the Japanese planes starts flying over you, from the left rear, center overhead, right rear towards the screen matching the on-screen action!!!

4) Star Trek - First Contact - opening scene in the Borg Cube - counter clockwise circling, swirling surround effects & visa-versa, etc.

I hear complete 100% seamless tonal level, timbre, and image location directional panning effects, no-matter what angle the Mixer encoded in the DVD around me!!!

Phil