How important are FireWire connectors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisTG, Jan 30, 2003.

1. ChrisTG

ChrisTG Auditioning

I hope to be purchasing a HDTV in the next month or so, and I was wondering how important FireWire IEEE 1394 connectors are / will be. There some very nice monitors out there, but few have these inputs.

Also, are there any web sites that list which set have them? I am most interested in Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi sets.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Chris

2. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

They aren't.

3. Craig Aguiar

Craig Aguiar Stunt Coordinator

Right now it is not such a big deal if you have a firewire connector on your TV but things are changing fast. Right now if you have a set top box, you connect it with your component video cables and you off and running. The signal is decoded in the box and sent down stream to your TV as an anolog signal. The thing is that movie studios are belly aching that we can now record digital pragrams onto DVDs or D-VHS and effectivly steal their DVD kickbacks. Right now there is legislation making it's way regarding copy protection etc, in the US, (I live in Canada where HDTV is more of a pipe dream). The plan is to use either a firewire or DVI-HDCP connection to send the encoded digital signal right to your TV. No set top box. No recording alowed. Anyone with a set top box will have the decoded signal downconverted to something like 480p so that if you do record it it is not as good as the origional signal. Which format will be used (if this legislation flys) is still under debate with each one having advantages and disadvantages. There is a good article in one of this months theater mags on the pros and cons of each. So the jist of this message is: maybe not now but in the near future you will need one of these types of connections to take full advantage of HDTV programming. POOH!!! On the bright side? Our governments spend so much time fence sitting with these issues that any TV you buy now will surely be obsolete by the time they get their ducks in a row. I geuss you just can't please everyone.

Hey at least in the States, no matter what type of connection you use, you have more than two channels, and more variety than just a continuous loop of various nature seens. (Good for instore demos, bad for home viewing.

If anyone has more info regarding these types of connections please feel free to correct anything I have written. I know only what I read. Later.

Craig