1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

how important are bonus features

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris Wall, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Chris Wall

Chris Wall Agent

I was wondering how important you consider bonus features to be. I think they are nice and all and some are actually pretty neat like unaired pilots or interviews or commentaries, but I consider complete and unedited epispdes most important. It would have been nice to see more Brady Bunch stuff in seasons 2-5 but for me seeing unedited episodes(accept for the apparent small bit i8n the Hawaii episode) was great. I t also seems with some shows that the bonus material declines in fyrther seasons like Three's Company.I think to some extent there's only so many features one can do as they can only do so many interviews and some may not have many cast members still alive and interested in or available for providing extra material and some early seasons of shows may need more bonus features to hook buyers in since it may not be as strong a season and they want more early buyers. It also sems like ceratin studios like Paramount use almost no bonus features.

2. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Bonus features are OK, but not many of them are very memorable or warrant a second look, IMO. I don't even listen to commentaries anymore, found they are mostly a waste of time. I'll go through the bonus features most of the time after I've watched the main event through. But for the most part, I can live without them, and their inclusion or absence doesn't make a difference in my purchase decisions.

The only thing that matters to me is to have the original work in complete, unedited form with the best transfer and presentation possible.

3. ethanTo

ethanTo Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't agree more, or have said it better. Only one that I can even remember finding interesting was the alternate endings on season 1 of 24, regarding Jack's wife. But stuff like the trivia and bloopers outtakes, ugh, no interest.

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

That's it for me as well. Bonus mat'l is nice but just give me the un-cut eps and I'm [​IMG]

5. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

They dictate what I buy and when, if two DVD's are released on the same day I will buy the one with best bonus features (which is why you don't see me with a lot of Paramount DVD's).

6. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete

I agree with this. Bonus Features is not a must for me... but I do love having that something extra in the sets.. and will buy a set with extras before one without. Only exception for this rule... Charmed... I get these sets ASAP... extras or not.

7. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

As long as video and audio is top-notch, i don't care. I will gladly sacrifice commentary for better A/V

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It used to be a big deal, until I stepped back and noticed I so seldom watched them that their absense shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Nowadays, if there's a choice between editions with goodies and without, I'll take the with, but I won't pass up the only edition available because it's just the show.

9. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I have to go with complete and uncut episodes is the most important thing for me. Bonus features are nice, but it's more important to me to have complete uncut episodes.

10. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

I don't care. If I like a show, then I buy it. I like Cheers, so I buy the sets. They have had very few extras and to be honest the only thing of interest would be bloopers or maybe something extra for those "special" episodes, but ultimately just put it together in a nice set and I'm happy. I dislike (especially with movies) all of the extras on the disc, at least it appears like a lot, but it's a lot of nothin'

11. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Nothin' except a waste of time, mostly.

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

First and foremost, my #1 reason for buying tv on dvd is the show itself. Extras are just that: extras. If I want a show bad enough I don't care if there's extras or not.

However...some season sets without extras seem to have something missing. Sometimes I'll watch an old episode, see something weird and think "god I wish there was commentary on this episode--what do the creators have to say about That?"

13. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    The show is the thing. Extra's sometimes flesh out what the purpose is ,but most extra's are only watched once and never again. The episodes I can watch over and over and.... That is the reason for buying TV on dvd.[​IMG]

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I like to see special features on sets but they don't influence my purchase at all. If I like the show, I buy the set. It's great when special features are on sets that I plan on buying but the greatest special features in the world aren't going to make me buy a set that I'm not that interested in.

15. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

I like commentaries, but bonus features are not important to me; The show is the reason I purchased the DVDs. Heck, I've watched my 24 season sets several times over, and I have yet to watch or listen to any of the bonus content!

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If you're that big of a fan of 24, you should check out the making-of on Season Two. It's one of the best TV DVD docs that I have ever seen.

17. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Sometimes extras work against the show. I bought the Flying Nun boxed set...there is a lengthy interview with Sally Field about the show, and she's still so bitter about her experience there, that it kind of spoiled some of the fun for me. All she talks about is how dumb the stories were, how mean the directors were to her, how painful the flying sequences were to her, and how she hated being the butt of tv comedians' jokes. She says she adored the rest of the cast, but she has almost nothing positive to say about the show itself--the fact that it was good family entertainment, that it was generally positive and uplifting, moral, and was at the time commended by the Catholic church at the time, for "humanizing nuns and their work." To hear Sally talk, her life on that show was a living hell; but that doesn't mean she has to take it out on the fans who generally consider it to be a wholesome and positive show.

18. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I like to see some on a set...commentaries, a little featurette or something. Still, unedited and complete episodes are a must. I have to admit that I don't often listen to the shows that do have episode commentary.

19. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

The show is most important. I could care less if M*A*S*H comes out with no bonus features, same with Friends or the Simpsons.

They can however help make a borderline purchase a purchase. I do watch them or listen if they are commentaries and if they are really good I'll revisit them.

20. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

Take The Simpsons. If dropping some of the commentaries gets them out earlier, then drop some of them. Only have them on key episodes