What's new

How I Met Your Mother - season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, in the John Lithgow episodes. She was mentioned as being away at college. We knew the Mother was in one of Ted's classes. That's where that theory for the Mother came from.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think we'd heard but not seen. I think all we'd seen of his dad's second family was the exterior of their house.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
That was phenomenal! All of the Canadian cameos were hilarious and the Dave Coulier/Bob Saget not-so-inside hook was terrific. My daughters have been watching Full House non-stop for the last couple months and driving me nuts and the "Cut. It. Out." line floored me. :D

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Charlie Campisi said:
the "Cut. It. Out." line floored me. :D
My favourite part about that (which I didn't even realize until I watched it again on the PVR with the gf) was that Bob Saget was the one saying that he still liked the joke! :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Coulier joke was that he was the subject of Alanis Morrisette's You Oughta Know, the inspiration for Robin Daggers & PS I Love You. The Full House connection added another layer to it,
This makes me wonder if Robin Sparkles was a parody of Alanis the whole time, considering Alanis was a dance pop singer and the "Debbie Gibson of Canada" when she started out in the recording industry.
If Abby Elliot ever got a sitcom, I would watch it for at least 6 episodes. Even if it were awful.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
From the interviews I've read, the Robin Sparkles character is definitely an amalgamation of Debbie Gibson and Alanis, though I maintain it's more latter than former. Indeed a young Alanis was also on a kids' television program, just like Robin Sparkles (You Can't Do That on Television--Vik Sahay from Chuck was also a cast member).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic episode last night. Season 4 quality. Given that Future Ted said that Abby Elliot's character is (aside from being a disastrous mistake) his last serious girlfriend before he meets the Mother, given that he meets the Mother at the train stop after Barney and Robin's wedding and given that Bays and Thomas have confirmed that the wedding will occur in the season finale, it sure does seem to point to us meeting the Mother in the season finale. At this point, anything they'd do to put off meeting the Mother another season would have to be contrived to the point of absurdity. If they have to do a season nine, I'd much prefer it to take us on the journey from meeting the Mother, to the mother becoming a mother. After the heel dragging for the last four seasons, it'd be nice to get the show back to season 1-3 pacing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I think they are setting Season9, which they have said is the last as a "courtship" season ending in Ted getting married. But they have one other question to answer: WHY is he telling such a longwinded story to his kids? What started that dialog.. ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe they won't wrap this up by the end of this season, but it must be getting the ratings. I think it has been getting a litle "tired" and time to go out gracefully, but obviously they're pushing it another year. Hope it has some really good writing and hasn't pushed it that extra year and they don't all look like fools doing silly stories to fill up another season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Stan
Can't believe they won't wrap this up by the end of this season, but it must be getting the ratings.
I think it has been getting a litle "tired" and time to go out gracefully, but obviously they're pushing it another year. Hope it has some really good writing and hasn't pushed it that extra year and they don't all look like fools doing silly stories to fill up another season.
They've basically said now that it's going to all be about the courtship, etc. That could setup to be pretty good. All depends.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I know I keep complaining about things being dragged out, and I promise to stop as I come to accept that this is just how things are going to be until we get down to the last half dozen episodes of Season 9, but the rationale for him to stay with the crazy girlfriend because he's a little crazy right now himself...well, couldn't you say he's been that kind of crazy for the entire series? What has changed, really? I'm thinking I should just stop following the show on a weekly basis and just amass episodes to watch in a marathon viewing. That seems to be the best remedy when shows start getting drawn out like this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Robin Sparkles was great; classic HIMYM. Last nights was mediocre, though I liked the Mike Tyson cameo.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
"The Ashtray" was another solid episode. I like that there was a bit of forward momentum / good fortune for Lily, and the Rashomon-inspired storytelling never seems to go wrong. The other bonus is seeing Robin act shamelessly, which Smulders seems to have a knack for.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Part of me is simply over these kind of flashback episodes. Any number of shows have done episodes like this in the recent past and I'm always "meh" on them. It just seems a tired way of looking like you're doing something inventive. Now, when Lily is breaking down on the couch saying she's only a teacher...yeah, I really liked that scene. I think a lot of it was me channeling emotions from my own life right now into the show, but it was still impactful.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous. This iterative telling of story-telling is, to me, classic HIMYM. After eight seasons, it's not as freshly surprising, but it's it's still fun. And the epilogue, with the Arch Duke Play is fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Glad they didn't drag the Jennette thing out indefinitely. With her being the last girl Ted dates before he meets the Mother, it sure does feel like were just outside the end zone. With six episodes left, it's seeming more and more likely that we're going to meet the Mother by the end of the season. At this point, any contrivance to put it off another season would be excruciatingly painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks