What's new

How I Met Your Mother - season 4 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Robin's Japan job is a prelude to the season and series finale. Isn't this show, in spite of how well liked, losing it's audience a bit?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the show is ultimately unsustainable beyond five years. You can't drag the premise out without alienating fans.

I think Robin's Japan job will be the thing that

leads to a hairstyle change for Smulders. On one of the third season commentaries the producers said she expressed an interest in cutting her hair and they said they wanted to integrate it into the show.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

I completely disagree--to be honest, the identity of the mother has never really been the cloying issue since season 2 or so. It's definitely more fun to watch the journey here than get the answers at the end. Besides, nobody's saying it has to end once we meet the mother. I'd hate for it to be like The King of Queens series finale which wrapped everything up in the last ten minutes and then did 30 seconds at the end showing the aftermath of it all. I don't want this show to rush to get to an ending.

Compare that to The Office, which, on paper is a more sustainable concept but has significantly declined in quality, going from a brilliant second season to gradually becoming wackier and less enjoyable.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Actually a ratings report (which, of course, are always to be taken with a grain of salt) I read today showed that How I Met Your Mother actually beating Heroes in the ratings this week.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the Office would be equally unsustainable if they made more of why there's a documentary crew following everyone around, like was done in the UK version. They've clearly glossed over that whole premise and are treating it merely as a "production style." It bothers me if I let myself think about it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting turn of events.

I also have to say as someone who grew up, lives in NYC and is 6'2 and 250, I got a big sympathetic kick over Marshall's "I'm too big for New York!" rant as I completely identify. Little elf doorways and teeny subway seats and being the "bodega killer" when turning around and hitting my elbows into everything.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a non New York Cityer I found this episode less interesting than others. The story was good, but it had no emotional resonance. I have no opinion on NYC vs New Jersey and don't understand the big fight about it.

Perhaps betraying my suburban life, I thought Ted's expectation they would leave a house and neighborhood to live in a bachelor pad apartment just silly.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone find this week's episode, Intervention, sort of schizophrenic?

Ted is moving, then he's not and Marshall agrees, then everyone follows along, then he is moving, then they meet back in 2009 seemingly unchanged going back up to the apartment. Not sure what the point was, if there was. And Robin mentions she is the girlfriend of some guy whose name I don't remember. Didn't see that one coming, but I guess it was a needed line to make the joke work. I guess I was hoping he'd get back with Robin, even though she is doesn't.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While I adore this show, it's frustrating in the way it's always flirting with busting the gang up. :frowning:

This weeks ep felt like the beginning of the end even though last I heard we will get another season after this one.

Stella isn't the mother.

I see it going one of two ways, Ted will end up not marrying her or they will get married but will ultimately divorce.

The point of this ep was to give us the end (the "year later" moment at the end) and then seeing how they get there in the coming season(s). My guess is that ONE of them still lives in the upstairs apartment a year later, the fun will be finding out who and if they are alone.

Remember, we are hearing the story from the adult Ted who has already lived through all of this so that gives the show amazing freedom to jump around and play with his past taking us from one point to another and seeing how they ended up there.

It's actually quite brilliant for a sitcom. :emoji_thumbsup:

I would take a bazooka in the face for Robin.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Billy C.

Agent
So I guess nobody is watching this show anymore??

I thought the way they ended it with Stella was out of character and not very believable.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Still watching and loving the show. :emoji_thumbsup:

Even if it didn't end the way it did, we got the proof that we needed to confirm that Stella isn't the mother...their kids had blonde hair and Ted's real kids do not.

Touchy subject of inviting ex's to a wedding, this show seems to be following the template made famous by Seinfeld of taking rules that are, in reality, fast and loose and treating them as absolute gospal and universal truths...you NEVER under and circumstances invite ex's to a wedding...ever!

Now in reality the rules for dating and marriage set-up on shows like this and Seinfeld do exist i'm sure however don't necessarily apply to every man and woman on the planet as suggested. But in Ted and Stella's case in proved disastrous and I for one couldn't be happier about it.

Robin is moving back from Japan, Ted and Stella are history and all is right with the world...for now.

As for Barney, he's a dawg and doesn't deserve Robin.

He just couldn't keep his pecker in his pants could he? And then he felt bad about it well, Barney, that's just tough shit now isn't it lol?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
How could Ted ever get back with Robin knowing she let Barney contaminate her? That would only happen in the sitcom world.

After seeing the kids in the "what if Stella was the mother" bit, it makes me really believe that Robin is the mother. They look like her anyway.

But if that were true, it doesn't make sense that they call her "Aunt Robin".

I am confused. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There are a couple of possibilities on who the mother is, it could possibly be OUR Robin but Ted meets another woman named Robin who becomes the aunt or, and more likely, he meets another woman with dark hair.

In fact, that opens up even more speculation, does he just happen to meet another dark haired woman or does he never really get over Robin and seeks the company of women who resemble her? Hmmm.

But honestly I highly doubt Robin is the mother given the info that we know.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Older Ted has, on numerous occasions, directly referred to Robin as "your Aunt, Robin," leaving no doubt that the Robin seen in the series is the same as the Aunt, and not some play on two people with the same name.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Or, maybe he's trying to explain something really complex. Robin is their biological mother but he married someone else.. or, he & Robin got married and auntie-Robin is their surrogate mother ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Unless he's trying to tell them something like.. you've always thought she was your aunt, but I have to tell you now, she's your mother.. after all, who the hell sits down with teenage kids to tell how they met their mom.. unless there is something difficult about the story - thus the need for the three years worth of detail because he can't spit it out ;)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't watch this show regularly - I've only seen a handful of episodes - so I apologize if this is a stupid question. But is it 100% confirmed that the kids Bob Saget is talking to are HIS kids? Is it possible Ted married Robin and he is telling the story to these other kids (that aren't his) how he met their mother (who we probably haven't even met yet)? Again, I apologize if this is a blatantly stupid question as I've seen about 5 episodes of the show, but I happened to catch last night's and it made me think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks