How I cleaned up Directv on my RPTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by anthony_b, Oct 7, 2003.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I've had my RPTV for about two weeks, I was fairly satisfied with my directv viewing (some channels looked better than others)..That was making me go crazy. I always had the remote in my hand making adjustments depending on what channel I was on. So I did the following :

1st: I cut all of the excess directv RG6 CABLE I had (about 10 ft).

2nd: I downgraded from s-video to composite !!

The difference is almost night and day...Try it, I couldn't believe it.

2. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I cleaned my Directv dramatically over the weekend. I've been viewing it on my Mitsubishi WS65-909, for almost a year. I finally upgraded my S-Video from a cheap Monster Cable, to an MIT "Level 3" S-Video Cable (cheapest MIT they had!). It was only $35 for 10', and the difference has been amazing. I rearranged my HT Room, so I needed a longer run right away (Sunday). I didn't expect to see any difference whatsoever! The colors are *much* more vibrant, the whites are whiter, and most importantly, the blacks are blacker. It even cleaned up the pixels on the wide stretch mode (made them sharper - which I didn't think was possible). [​IMG]

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Cliff..now you have me thinking my S-video cable was the problem..It was an Acoustic research cable I swapped out for a composite Monster cable..Could it be that a better s-video cable would give me better results ?

4. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

Using the S-Video cable that came with the satelite receiver, I had similar problems Anthony. I get much better picture quality using the coax connection. Maybe i should try the composite instead.