How hot should my CPU be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Checking my BIOS, I see that my CPU temp is 48 degrees celcius when idle... is this a little high? Maybe I should swap out the 6000rpm Delta fan (that came with my Vantec CCK-6027D heatsink/fan) for a 7200rpm model (aka... the hair dryer [​IMG] )
    wadda you guys think? (I am using Arctic Silver 3 Thermal compound by the way, so that can't be the problem).

2. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Honestly Rob, I think that temp looks okay. There are some Athlon XP owners who have temps in the 38 to 40 degree range when idling/ 45 or so under load. Cooler yes - but something really necessary to "sweat" over? No.

My rig usually runs 48 at idle and 52 under load. Honestly, for those people striving for lower temps than these I have to wonder if it is worth it. If I only get 5 years out of my CPU vs the 7 that someone who has an "extreme cooling" setup then so be it. I would have long since passed that CPU along anyway.

If you are into lowering temps overclocking or recreation even then by all means, sweat those "big C's."

Michael.

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

Athlon XP's were designed to run cooler than T-birds. While my XP 1800+ hovers around 40 at idle and 46 under load with a stock heatsink/fan, my T-Bird 1.2GHz runs hotter at 46 when idle and lower 50's under load with a GolbalWin FOP38 heatsink/fan with Artic Silver II. In less you plan on overclocking, I also think your temps are fine.

Randy T

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Rob unless you are overclocking the CPU then you shouldn't worry. You might want to look at your case airflow though....remember in the front bottom out the rear top.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

what is your case temperature running at???

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

my case temp is around 30-32 celcius

7. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

This is a similar question to Rob's...

after reading the posts I thought I'd check my cpu temp. It is 60 C! This seems awful high for a 500 mhz snail-a-ron. I checked the settings in bios and for the cpu fan it says "disconect" I tried to highlight it, but it wouldn't let me select it. It seems that my cpu fan is not running although it sounds like it is. Where my computer is it is hard to get to the back to unplug/plug in everything so I haven't opened the case yet. Do any of you have any idea what is going on/how to fix it? Thanks for the input.

8. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Your computer may not have a CPU fan, older CPU's sometimes didn't even include fans. The fan you hear is probably the powersupply fan. As the CPUs got faster and faster heatsink/fan combos became a must to keep them running at safe levels.

9. Jeff Braddock

it does have a cpu fan

10. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Jeff, is the fan working? I would take the computer cover off and make sure that the fan is working properly. It's possible that the fan motor is bad or the 3 pin fan header on the mobo is bad. 60C is a little too high.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hmmm, mine must be perpetually cold cause my t'bird 1gig CPU runs only at 31C and perhaps 46C at gamespeed (Wolf 3D) and I'm using the default AMD fan that came with it. I have a dual fan Enermax PS and the casefan in the front that came with the minitower too. I recently added an adjustable speed case fan in the back to suck air out and it dropped the casetemp by like a degree and is no louder than before.

Jay

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm at 44C at idle for my 1.33 athlon running at 1425mhz Case is at 34C

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

What sort of temperatures should I be getting with a Socket A Athlon 600? I'm sitting at about 32C, with a new Golden Orb fan that's definitely working.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

My monitor software is reporting 443F [​IMG]

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

well... my idle speed has gone down to 45 degrees celcius on the chip and 30 inside the case (gotta love aluminum) after installing Windows 2000... weird! (I have left it on for 3 days, so maybe the fan is getting worn in).

16. Jeff Braddock

An update....I popped the cover off comp. and the fan was not running. I fiddled around w/ the connection and it had somehow come loose. I checked the temp and it is still 52-53 C. This still seems a little high. Oh well I guess.