How hot is your HK AVR-525?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Ku, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I finally hooked up my AVR 525 last night. It is connected only to 8ohm Stereo speakers. I let it run at low volume last night to help break in the speakers and this morning I noticed it was very hot. It was uncomfortable to place my hand on top of the unit. It is in an open back case with about 6 inches of clearance above it, but almost none to the sides. Is this amount of heat normal? I an especially concerned with how hot it will get with all 7 channels running. I am going to move it to a position where it can get more air tonight, just curious how hot others get.

Thanks

2. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

Joe I am currently in the market for a new receiver and the HK is one of my options. If you do a search on it you will see that alot of people have had the same thing with the HK, hope this helps.

3. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

I have one and yes, it does run on the warm side. The 70 wpc that HK advertises is "old school" power measurements. This receiver generates more juice than a number of its competitors, hence the heat issue.

4. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I feel better now, I love the way it sounds, I was hoping it was just the nature of the beast. I can crank it all the way up without a hint of distortion, I guess the higher Air conditioning bill is the tradeoff. I can live with that[​IMG] Thanks guys