What's new

How hot is ok for receivers (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a new Onkyo receiver tx-sr803 I think. Anyway I have about 1 and half foot of air space on top of the receiver along with a small fan on top of the receiver to help circulate the air inside and draw out the hot air. I watch movies close to half volume and I feel the top and it is hot to the touch. I took it's temp. with an a/c thermometer and it reads 160. Is this to hot? Thanks

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
That sounds a little hot for a receiver. My receiver would run about 100 to 110 before I went to separates. Now maybe 90 but it only runs the surrounds. Check on running two cooling fans one for the transformer section and one for the amp section of the receiver. Heat is the enemy of electronics and the hotter things get the less efficient they become. Also check your speaker to see if the ohm ratings are correct using a ohmmeter/voltmeter. I would not run speakers that are below 6 ohms. Let me know if I can help with more info.

HT-EXT

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Heat is the enemy, but it is also a necessary evil. If it isn't shutting down and doesn't sound strained, it is probably OK. Hot too the touch isn't unusual, but 160 does seem a bit high - after a long listening period such as a movie, it probably isn't out of the question though.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
A foot & a half of air space on top is a ton of room for ventilation. The fact it is hot to the touch is normal, but 160 deg does seem really high. Are you sure that is a correct measurement? I can't give you a specific temp, but I am under the impression that the thermal shut off point for most equipment is less than that.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just last week, I went to an electronics part store and purchased a cooling fan that operates on 115V ac and connected it to the back of my component rack so that it would push out the hot air from the rack. It worked wonders and the receiver just barely gets lukewarm to the touch.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In walls? Those should not be putting that kind of demand on the receiver...sounds like something is either wrong with the receiver, configured wrong, or wired wrong.

brendy

Agent
On the top left corner you should see a label that says it will become fairly hot at times and it is normal. My 602 has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbenito