What's new

How hot does your reciever get? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
There are some that believe heat does not matter. However, heat is a large factor in the life of any electronics.

The basic formula is more heat=less life. A well-designed receiver should feel warm to the touch...not hot.

I have a NAD T752 that runs warm and never gets hot. Part of this is due to the well-designed heat sink. Part of it is also due to the cooling fan. I don't mind a fan as long as I can't hear it.....which I can't unless I am within 4-5 feet of the unit. When the fan does come on, it usually runs for only a few minutes.

For those of you who own receivers that run hot, purchase a quiet fan like Yogi...you will be glad you did and whether you realize it or not......you will actually extend the life of your unit.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
My old pioneer and new onkyo only gets warm to the touch. This is just above the heatsink and transformers. I know that both pioneer and onkyo recommend 8" of space above the receiver. I have plenty of ventalation cause mine sit on the top shelf of a open design audio rack.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
My AVR 520 does not get any hotter than my Onkyo 575X, using the same speakers. Both units get very warm, but not hot enough where I have to pull my hand off. The Onkyo has cast or extruded alluminum, while the 520 appears to have sheet metal. I was disappointed that the 520 had sheetmetal, but without putting a thermocouple at the the semi-conducter/heatsink junction, couldn't say one performs better than the other.

One thing that I have observed on the 520, which is odd to me, is when there is no digital input, the unit stays on the very warm side. This is when you pause or stop a CD or DVD, and the receiver is flashing, ie it has no digital signal lock. I would expect it to run cool then. I haven't done any definative testing to see if it is only the digital signal or it happens on analog too. I couldn't come up for a good reason why it would run this warm then. I doubt very much, that HK is using class A amps in the pre-amp stages or output satges, which could explain it. Do DACs disipate allot of heat? Anyone else notice that with their 520 or other HK products? Anyone have a better explaination?

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks