How hot does your reciever get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Jones, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

I just bought a H/K AVR 525 and was curious how hot it should be. Obviously I don't want to blow it up! I have it in a cabinet with 3" clearance in the rear and 5" on the top. I leave the door open while it is on. It also smells when it is on. Not sure if it is normal electronics smell or maybe the polyurthane on the cabinet. Any help is appreciated.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

HK receivers run hot as they have poor heatsinking design. Give them plenty of room to breathe and you should be fine. I have a Technics SADX950 in the bedroom system and it runs so hot you could fry eggs on it. I installed a 2" parts express fan with a 12V adaptor plugged to the back of the receiver so everytime I turn on the receiver the fan comes on. The fan is very quiet and now my receiver runs cold.

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

My Sony DA4ES gets almost too hot to touch but only the area on top of the heatsinks and the transformer. The rest of it stays fairly cool as far as I can tell. It is in a cabinet with an open front and back, and about 3" of space on top. There isn't much room on the sides but IIRC there were no vent holes on the sides anyway.

It gave off a smell when I first got it but doesn't anymore. I think it is just a "new electronics smell", somewhat akin to new car smell.

4. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

My H/K 125 does not even get warm to the touch. It is on a flex rack and is clear by 12 inches on all sides.

5. Eric Moore

Eric Moore Auditioning

I have an H/K 525 and it gets hot. It also gives off that "electronic" smell. I have heard that H/K's tend to run hot so I am not too worried.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    My Nakamichi doesn't get hot at all. Maybe a little warm after some marathon use but not much difference if just watching a movie.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My Marantz 6200 never got very hot, even when driven very hard for a long period. I haven't had my new receiver long enough to know if it gets hot... My PM7000 integrated does not get more than warm to the touch ever.

8. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Don't be worried. Transistors and other electronic components are rated to work at temperatures of 85 degrees C (160 deg F or something) and higher. Some amplifiers are designed to operate at high temperatures, up to 55C which is hot enough that it hurts to touch for more than a couple seconds. Additionally, your receiver probably has a thermal switch to shut itself down if the temperature exceeds something like 75C in a fault condition.

9. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

My Kenwood 6070 gets a little warm after it's been on awhile, not as bad as some has mentioned.

10. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Steve,

I also have the HK 525, and damn that thing get's hot. It virtually can heat up my room!!!

11. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will enjoy some movies at ease tonight.

12. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have a Marantz 7300 and it gets pretty hot. I want to help it out by cooling it with a fan.

13. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

My HK 525 also runs on the hot side. But I have never had any problems. Also, it is not a poor heatsink design just because it gets hot; it gets hot because the electronics generate a lot of heat. The purpose of a heatsink is to move the heat from the electronics to the outside of the unit, which it does quite well. But this unit definitely needs room to breath.

14. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I just think the receiver has plenty of protection for that sort of thing. They were designed to survive being abused.

15. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

"Also, it is not a poor heatsink design just because it gets hot; it gets hot because the electronics generate a lot of heat. "

Atleast when I looked inside the 520 I was shocked to see an aluminum foil bent in the shape of a heat sink. Now that was piss poor design for a receiver in that price range. I dont know about the 525 but hopefully HK redesigned the heat sinks to the standard extruded aluminum heatsinks found on most receivers and amps. In that case I stand corrected for my earlier comment.

16. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I'm looking to get the H/K 525 next week. How much clearance would you guys suggest? My currents setup has about three inches on top with none on the sides and no back enclosure, but this is a lot bigger than my jvc.

Any suggestions on where I should purchase from and/or price?

17. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Also with my 6200, it runs very warm but never gets to the point where I would call it hot. In a related question to heat, I use my receiver daily switching it on and off multiple times a day (for instance watching the news, hbo at late night or dvds) so do you guys think it would be alright to leave it on most of the time with the occasional break? For convenience sake Im thinking more of like turning it off once a week or so or would that be a big no no?

18. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

I got mine at Etronics but 6Ave.com was alittle cheaper. I bought it from Etronics because they had another item I wanted the 6Ave didn't. I believe I paid $634 + shipping and 6ave was $619. It did arrive in 24 hours. Which was very nice.

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ben, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving your reciever on. Turn the volume down, and it will just stay slightly warm to the touch.

That being said, my reciever is EXTREMELY hot. It's a marantz 5300, and I dunno bout you guys, but DAMN that unit is sexy! [​IMG]

20. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest at least an inch on each side and 6 inches above to keep the 525 cool. And the 525 does have an extruded aluminum heatsink. I would also have been annoyed with what you described in the 520.