How hot does your preamp run???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dean_S, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

My Sony 9000ES is like a space heater and I'm currently looking for a replacement and would like something that runs cool to warm.

I'm currently considering the following:
    Anthem AVM20 (used)
    Rotel 1068 (new)
    Rotel 1098 (used)
    Audio Refinement Pre2Dsp (new)

I would entertain any other pre-amp suggestions to look at in the $2500 and under range (used is OK).

Must haves:
    Component switching for at least 2 inputs (hd bandwidth)
    Multi-channel analog input for SACD/DVD-A (don't care about bass management on the analog inputs)
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    5 digital inputs (3 optical is preferred but I can work with 2)

I don't really need 7.1 since I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. I care more about 2-ch music sound quality and video switching quality then just about anything else. I will never use any surround modes except DD, DTS, DPL (II). Neutral or warm sound is preferred.

So tell me from my listed choices which ones run cooler and feel free to suggest any in the price range I might have missed that would be worthwhile auditions.

TIA

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you should try H/K's Digital Reciever.
    It has 7.1 Pre-outs, and all of the specs you require, and because it has digital amps, runs cool WHILE powering speakers, not to mention while NOT powering speakers.

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I wish I knew more about the DPR1001 but it seems to be a very unpopular product in the HK line for some reason (the stores can't give 'em away). I would love to find a review of the DPR but have not been able to. I guess I could buy one (they fairly cheap) and return within 30 days if it sucks??? The downside to "auditioning" this type of product at home is the amount of time and effort it takes to install and setup plus the fact that I have to move a cabinet that weighs at least 600lbs (with equipment and TV) to wire it.

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Dean, you have many choices that won't fry eggs. I believe the Anthem AVM20 is right in the ball park as well as B&K Ref. 50. You could get a heck of a preamp used for that as well.

5. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

I have the Rotel 1066 and it runs cool. I upgraded from the sony; the sony's 3 processors do run up the temp a bit. The Sony does run hot. In contrast the Rotel is barely warm. I had a Rotel 1098 as a loaner and it ran a little warmer compared to the 1066; but nowhere near the heat the Sony put out.

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Dean- Check Audio Advisor webb site for the Aragon Soundstage. They are selling Open Box(returned from Cedia) for about half price as I recall, with full warranty.

7. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I own an AVM 20 and it runs cool. Neutral sounding. Covers everything you were requiring.

8. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

The Sony TA-E9K ES operates in full class A on the output stages and should run hot, this should not be a problem if it's well ventelated.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had a TA-E9000ES too. Also ran quite hot. Had an Outlaw 950, ran fairly cool. Have a Lexicon MC-8 now, about in the middle. The DPR 1001 has digital amps (most amps, receivers have analog amps), that's why it runs so cool, but that's also why it's not getting great reviews for sound quality either.

10. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Mike,

My reason for dumping the Sony is not just because it's a space heater. It no longer serves my needs since it has no Component switching or multi-channel analog inputs. I just want to find a replacement that does run cooler.

Kevin,

I'm not really looking at the DPR1001 for this system, but if you know where any reviews of it are I'd like to hear about them...I've not been able to find any, but I haven't looked since December.

11. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Dean,
    i know i hate it when someone asks for a recommendation and sets a spending limit and some bozo responds with "buy the brand X for only twice that and you'll be really happy!", but i'm gonna risk being labeled a bozo and go over by $99.[​IMG]
    there's a new in the box Aragon Stage One over on audiogon.com that's $2599. it fulfills all of your must haves, and sounds great to boot. i've got one and can recommend it. i'm not affiliated with or even know the seller, just recommending the pre-pro.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dean- There were a few threads here where people commented on the H/K. I was actually quite surprised that most people didn't think it sounded that good. (Psychology being what it is, most people defend stuff they like.) And then when you compare the reaction to the 1001 to the other H/K's (525, 7200, etc, which generally get great comments), just surprised me.