How hot do your AMD's usually run at?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jun 23, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have an AMD Athlon 1.33GHz, with a CoolerMaster fan using Arctic Silver Alumina, and im averaging about 48-50 degrees Celsius, with a 30-32 degree ambient temperature with the side panel off.
    Is this too hot??? The hottest its gotten was about 59 degrees when i had the case cover on and it was a very warm day.
    Is this too hot? What do your CPUs run at?
    Update:
    Okay, i bought a fan today for the back of my computer. I cut out the fan grille a few days ago coz it would block the air coming out.
    It made a HUGE difference. before where the case would be 35-39 celsius, its 28-29. the CPU temperature is 10 degrees lower with the side panel on than if it was off.
    I might be getting an intake sooner or later.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

thats just fine. mine runs in that neighborhood.

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

AthlonXP 1800+ overclocked to 1900+...
    CPU = 40-42C idle, and 46C under a full load.
    Ambient case temp = 29C (side panel ON).

I have a Volcano 6cu heatsink, but I removed the 60mm fan it came with, and got a 60mm-80mm adapter and am using a Panaflo 80mm fan instead. Using Arctic Silver 3.

I'd say yours is a little warm, but perfectly fine...these CPUs can run a lot hotter than that safely.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thunderbird 1.4 38C idle, 43C when running Prime95. Swiftech MCX462 w/68 CFM Delta fan.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I'm surprised your system runs cooler with the side panel off. That isn't usually the case, or it's not supposed to be. With the side panel on, the air sucked in by the intake fans has no choice but to go through the system, hopefully hitting the hot spots. With the side panel off, the air sucked in by the fans is free to leave right out the side of the case, never getting to those hot spots, which with less air circulation in those areas, should get hotter. All this assumes, of course, that you didn't take the side off and stick that open side by an AC register or put a big table-top fan blowing into the case or something like that.

FTR, I don't have an AMD CPU. I have a P3-933, overclocked to 1015, and under full load ([email protected]), it runs at 45°C. That's with the stock Intel heatsink and some generic silver thermal grease from CompUSA.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its probably like that coz right now i have no inake fans that suck air into the case... im planning to get two more fans for my system, one to suck air in, one to blow air out... maybe in the future one more on the side panel to blow air onto the mobo...

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I have no intake fans in mine...I find them useless and they just add more noise and nothing else. Exhaust fans are what matter.

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, if you're getting better temps with the side open you can take that as a hint that your internal air flow is very poor.
    Air flow, IMO, is much more important than which mods, fan and heatsink you use.

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got a 2100 and retail HSF - usually somewhere in the 56-59 degree C range. I know it's a little hot, but I'm not inclined to do anything about it unless it starts crashing.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i had a feeling that its the airflow... maybe its because i have none except the CPU fan and the PSU fan...

Ill probably buy an exhaust fan soon see how taht does, then an intake fan, either mount it on the front, or on the side panel...

11. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Updated in first post

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    44-46C Idle
    47-50C Under load
    32C Ambient
    [​IMG]

14. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Athlon XP 2100+ / Volcano 7 HSF
    38 idle 44 load

15. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

16. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I'm all for the quiet PC. I am building a new one myself and have chosen the P4 over AMD this time for that very reason. Combined with the fact that I have no interest in overclocking, I am planning on a very cool, quiet PC.
    Incidentally Nick; I have the same processor as you and I get very similar readings. I've never had stability problems. I know it could probably be cooler, but then it would be louder...vicious circle. [​IMG]
    /Jeff

17. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

19. Kami

Kami Screenwriter