What's new

How hot do your AMD's usually run at? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have an AMD Athlon 1.33GHz, with a CoolerMaster fan using Arctic Silver Alumina, and im averaging about 48-50 degrees Celsius, with a 30-32 degree ambient temperature with the side panel off.
Is this too hot??? The hottest its gotten was about 59 degrees when i had the case cover on and it was a very warm day.
Is this too hot? What do your CPUs run at?
Update:
Okay, i bought a fan today for the back of my computer. I cut out the fan grille a few days ago coz it would block the air coming out.
It made a HUGE difference. before where the case would be 35-39 celsius, its 28-29. the CPU temperature is 10 degrees lower with the side panel on than if it was off.
I might be getting an intake sooner or later.

Kami

Screenwriter
AthlonXP 1800+ overclocked to 1900+...
CPU = 40-42C idle, and 46C under a full load.
Ambient case temp = 29C (side panel ON).

I have a Volcano 6cu heatsink, but I removed the 60mm fan it came with, and got a 60mm-80mm adapter and am using a Panaflo 80mm fan instead. Using Arctic Silver 3.

I'd say yours is a little warm, but perfectly fine...these CPUs can run a lot hotter than that safely.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thunderbird 1.4 38C idle, 43C when running Prime95. Swiftech MCX462 w/68 CFM Delta fan.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm surprised your system runs cooler with the side panel off. That isn't usually the case, or it's not supposed to be. With the side panel on, the air sucked in by the intake fans has no choice but to go through the system, hopefully hitting the hot spots. With the side panel off, the air sucked in by the fans is free to leave right out the side of the case, never getting to those hot spots, which with less air circulation in those areas, should get hotter. All this assumes, of course, that you didn't take the side off and stick that open side by an AC register or put a big table-top fan blowing into the case or something like that.

FTR, I don't have an AMD CPU. I have a P3-933, overclocked to 1015, and under full load (Genome@home), it runs at 45°C. That's with the stock Intel heatsink and some generic silver thermal grease from CompUSA.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its probably like that coz right now i have no inake fans that suck air into the case... im planning to get two more fans for my system, one to suck air in, one to blow air out... maybe in the future one more on the side panel to blow air onto the mobo...

Kami

Screenwriter
I have no intake fans in mine...I find them useless and they just add more noise and nothing else. Exhaust fans are what matter.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, if you're getting better temps with the side open you can take that as a hint that your internal air flow is very poor.
Air flow, IMO, is much more important than which mods, fan and heatsink you use.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got a 2100 and retail HSF - usually somewhere in the 56-59 degree C range. I know it's a little hot, but I'm not inclined to do anything about it unless it starts crashing.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i had a feeling that its the airflow... maybe its because i have none except the CPU fan and the PSU fan...

Ill probably buy an exhaust fan soon see how taht does, then an intake fan, either mount it on the front, or on the side panel...

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
It doesn't really matter if the fans are exhaust or intake, if you're not going to use both. If you use just exhause fans, the air that's getting exhausted still has to come into the case somehow; if you're just using intake fans, the air that's getting sucked in still has to find its way out somehow. Either way, it's air in, air out.
The only reason an intake fan would be useless is if the design of the case's front bezel didn't have any (or enough) holes for the air to come in. I've seen cases like that. For decorative reasons, there are either no holes, or there are very small holes covered over by a raised section of the bezel.
An intake fan could be unneeded if temps are low enough without one. But it wouldn't be useless to have one.
But if there is good enough airflow through the front of the case for an intake fan, then an intake fan will complement an exhause fan just in the same way that a turbocharger compliments pistons in an engine. Pistons in an engine can draw a certain amount of air into an engine, just like an exhaust fan can draw a certain amount of air into the case. But a turbocharger can pack even more air into that engine, just like an intake fan can pack even more air into the case.
And if the fan's too loud, then either get a quieter fan (there are plenty of options here), or get a bigger fan (a bigger fan can move more air without having to spin as fast as a smaller fan, so because they spin slower, they are quieter, and what noise they do make is generally considered to be more pleasant, more of a low-pitched thrum than a high-pitched whine, if you can understand that).

Kami

Screenwriter
It doesn't really matter if the fans are exhaust or intake, if you're not going to use both. If you use just exhause fans, the air that's getting exhausted still has to come into the case somehow; if you're just using intake fans, the air that's getting sucked in still has to find its way out somehow. Either way, it's air in, air out.
The only reason an intake fan would be useless is if the design of the case's front bezel didn't have any (or enough) holes for the air to come in. I've seen cases like that. For decorative reasons, there are either no holes, or there are very small holes covered over by a raised section of the bezel.
Well, I'm just speaking from personal experience. I have NO temperature differences when I put an intake fan in there. Ambient is about 1 degree lower, and the extra noise is not worth it.
I have an Enlight 7237 case and I cut away all the stuff in front of the intakes and exhausts so nothing impedes airflow.
My system is almost completely silent. My CPU fan, exhaust fan, and Power supply fan are all 80mm Panaflos. These fans only put out 21dba of noise. My PS didn't come with that fan, I had to open it up and replace the fan. And as you can see from my temps above, there is no problem.
I highly recommend a silent PC...you will NEVER go back.
I have seen people that cool their entire system with ONE Panaflo fan in the power supply...they just use monstrous heatsinks. It used to be get the fastest and loudest fans so you can overclock your system to oblivion, but I find now that people realized having 50-60dba coming out of your machine isn't very pleasant :)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I'm all for the quiet PC. I am building a new one myself and have chosen the P4 over AMD this time for that very reason. Combined with the fact that I have no interest in overclocking, I am planning on a very cool, quiet PC.
Incidentally Nick; I have the same processor as you and I get very similar readings. I've never had stability problems. I know it could probably be cooler, but then it would be louder...vicious circle. :)
/Jeff

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I think those huge heatsinks almost look dangerous if you move around your PC much - some look like they'd almost rip the CPU out if you move the case too much.
Yeah they do, thats why some computer companies have weight limits on their heatsink/fans, so when they ship it, it wont fall off.
Whats worse is if it falls off, and its an AMD, the customer doesnt check it. The first flick of the switch *sizzle* :eek:

Kami

Screenwriter
I think those huge heatsinks almost look dangerous if you move around your PC much - some look like they'd almost rip the CPU out if you move the case too much.
Yeah that's why they put supports on them so all the weight isn't on the CPU socket

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks