How high up should surrounds be placed?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ScottATL, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

I have a 5.1 set of Paradigm monitors, but I'm soon moving everything to the basement. I'm using the Mini's for surrounds right now, but I plan to upgrade to a set of ADP370's for the surrounds, but how high up should they be? Should these be placed on a floor stand or up mounted to the wall?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Scott

Many recommend that surrounds be placed 6 to 6 and a half feet off the floor. There are some who prefer ear level. Dolby Labs simply says "above ear level".

Artie

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

mine are about 6ft and always were pointing at eachother as to bounce off each opposing wall. I got good results.

now I have bipoles and they are mounted the same way and sound great but I think would be best on back wall.

as for ADP-370's ? locally they want $750 for these. wont be buying those for a long time to come.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I would say that if you are only doing film soundtracks, follow Dolby's suggestion.

But, if MC music is in the cards, I would say lower. But even then, it would depend on what type of MC music. I like a lot of stuff that places instruments behind the listener. As such, I prefer my surrounds to be lower (I have the tweeters about at ear height, with the speakers on stands slightly behind and to the sides of the sweet spot.

When I had my surrounds up high, I hated the way MC music sounded.....its phony enough to have band members behind me....no point having them behind me and half way up the side wall[​IMG]

Now, if all your surround music were stuff where the rears were just ambience, then I would say go with a higher placement.

There is a white paper on Dolby's site relating to setting up a MC music mixing suite. I think their placement suggestions work very well for music, and I find that it is also quite good for film sound.

BGL