What's new

How high to put TV? (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I just got a 30" Sony, and plan on building a stand for it. How high would you recommend the TV sitting? Viewing distance isn't very far (7-9'), and seating height is normal. Thanks for any help.

Tim

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

**Disclaimer the advise you are about to receive is from a new guy to HT and may not know what he is talking about**

From my limited experience I have gotten a lot less fatigue from watching TV when I don't have to my neck up or down much from vertical. Obviously the closer you sit to the TV the more this comes into play. Ever watch that Purple Dinosaur with your kids on the floor? After an hour your ready to shoot that dinosaur if it wern't for that ole krick in the neck.

I would sit in your normal seating position and measure the hight of your eyes and then build your stand to a hight that puts the center of your screen pretty close to that hight.

It is actually more comfortable FOR ME to look slightly down or straight on than it is to look up. I would find a sturdy platform that you could use to fine tune what hight is comfortable for your viewing experience and then build your stand that accomplishes that.

Just my .02

Happy Building ;)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Rick. When seated, you want to look straight ahead, with your eyes about in the center of screen.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Guess I could have said exactly what you said with out all the fluff....was late when I posted and was delirious. :D

DavidHuguet

Agent
What I know from human ergonomics, it's best to design the viewing angle so that the eye gazes slightly below horizontal with the head upright. the muscles naturally tend to pull the eye to that position if relaxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks