How high for surrounds?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave H., Mar 24, 2005.

1. Dave H.

Dave H. Auditioning

Hi folks, I need some help here. I am setting up my rear surround speakers and Im not sure how high to put them, I have to hang them on the walls on each side of the couch. The fronts are at ear level on stands. The rear surrounds are JBL E10s. Im hoping to hang them a little higher then ear level, but I will do what I have to to get the best sound! Is there a set rule or do you experiment to get the best sound. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave H.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    According to Dolby Labs, you should place them 1-2 feet above your ears when seated, and slightly behind your head.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I think it's more like 2 to 3 feet above. Measure from the tweeters of the speakers to your ears. Also depends on what kind of speakers. I've found that for dipoles, the height is less critical, but for direct radiators if they are too low, they become too localizable and distracting. Also see what the speaker manual says, and possibly too what the receiver manual says. It's really what you think sounds the best though.

4. Dave H.

Dave H. Auditioning

Thanks guys, I split the difference and went about two and a half feet above ear level. Sounds pretty good, Im going to tweak the volume on each speaker and see if I can get the best sound. It sounds like thats just part of the whole Home Theater hobby, to play around with it until you get it right in your particular room and set up. Thanks again, Dave H.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yup. [​IMG] There's a whole bunch of "official" ways of doing things, but for the most part, it's up to each of us to find out what works ... for each of us.