How hardwood floors affect sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I just moved from a small carpeted apartment into a townhouse with hardwood floors. I get to play all media with higher volume, which is a great plus, but I have noticed that I seem to be getting a bit too much echo in my new room. I feel like I am losing too much fine detail due to the acoustics. Would getting a large rug for the floor between my speakers and couch help offset some of this? Any other opinions or suggestions?

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

A rug should help. Try it out. Good luck!

3. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

We just finished the basement in my house about 2 months ago, and for the first month it was bare hardwood floor.
    For about a week or so, I had an SVS 16-46CS on that floor and for some reason it didn't seem to produce as much of a kick as I thought it would.
    The next week we got our area rug laid down and it made quite a big difference, I could FEEL the sub now, and it took away the extra echoing.
    I think you may have a better experience once you get a carpet/rug on the floor!
    Mind you, throughout the entire time with the SVS, hardwood floor or rug, the floor above felt like it was alive and rolling [​IMG]

4. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Get the thickest largest rug you can fit. It will make a major improvement.

5. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

Hardwood floor can be nice -- but it can also make the space too "hard." I ripped up the wall-to-wall carpet in my living room last May, and for a month or so had bare hardwood floor. I actually preferred the resulting sound over what I had with the carpet (despite some slight harshness that was similar to what you are noticing), but when I added a small (5'x8') area rug in front of the sofa it provided just enough softness to the room to eliminate the harshness that I hadn't been quite happy with.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Is it best that the speakers themselves be placed on top of the area rug, or should you just position the rug somewhere in front of them?

7. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Chris, you might have to do a little trial and error here. However, you probably are going to want it pretty much centered between you and the speakers. If anything, you might need to pull it further toward you or under you.