What's new

HOw hard woudl it be to wire a computer into the hometheater system? (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was just thinking about this. I'm planing on building a hometheater system this fall/late summer. I'm not sure what i'm planing to spend yet I might just get a 1,000 dollar package or something but forget that for now.

I want to wire a computer into the HT so I can play mp3z off of it, how hard is this to do or is it evne possible?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How hard it is depends on what outputs your soundcard has. Have you taken a look to find out? All have a headphone output that you can plug an adapter (mini jack to RCA) into and off you go. Not hard at all.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, there is a whole faction of HT using computers as the heart of the system. Computer in Home Theater, called HTPC is a HUGE section of the HT hobby.
The HTF has a HTPC section, and the avs forum (www.avsforum.com) has a GIANT dedicate HTPC forum with hundreds of posts per day!
-V

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Spector,
Here's a link to an article at the Secrets website that addresses your question. It is part 1 of a 3 part series of articles. Very interesting.
Link Removed
JayDaniel

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys and thanks for that link Jay. Too bad the other 2 parts aren't out yet it looks like a really in depth article.

- Sam

Stan_S

Auditioning

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
even the most basic pc should have a line-level output...even if it's all on-board audio. pick up a mini cable and a mini-to-rca adaptor and you're all set.

of course, if you want to get more in-depth, then the other suggestions are going to be more versatile.

Steve Cross

Agent
If mp3s are the only thing you will be outputing from your PC, maybe you consider a DVD player that supports mp3 play back, 90% of the players out have it.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not looking just to play mp3s. I have movies on my computer I would like to play along with being able to capture tv shows onto the HD with a tunver card.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
My adivice is if you are looking to get a new system anyway, go with a Asus P4B(any model) motherboard. The have built in audio, but the best feature is the all come with a Digital audio daughter board that allows Digital Coax input, and output, a few of the models even have a optical line out as well. This is what I have been using for the past year, and have had no complains whatsoever. Just my 2 cents.

Kris

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
I happen to already have a second system built.

Its a 1.4 ghz amd w/ abit kg7, 256 megs ram (i know needs more) and about 200 gigs of HD space. I will need a new soundcard I believe (just got an sblive) and most likely a new videocard. I'm thinking an ATI AIW 8500 for that sense it has tuner, capture capabilities along with before a decent card.

Steve Cross

Agent
The AIW 8500dv is a great card, I've been using one for about six months for capture and outputing DivX to my receiver, it has digital coax, coupled with an audigy you would have optical output also.
Scan thru this forum for tons of info on the 8500dv.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Some people seem to be having some issues with audigy and AIW cards but I believe most of them have been worked out with updated drivers and maybe a little tweaking.

I want to start buying this stuff rather soon but I can't find too much of the stuff I'm looking for used. Especially the receiver because I do'nt know what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks