What's new

How hard is it to replace an IR receptor in a tv? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I have a 1988 27" Sony that still suffices in our family room. Awhile ago, it stopped responding to the remote. I believe it has a dead infrared receptor because our Sony VCR still responds to the Sony multi-remote (so the remote works), but the television does not. Everything else about the tv works fine and I think we'll always be able to find some use for it until there are no more analog broadcasts. We use a sat box so channel changing isn't a problem. The biggie is that we can't control the volume with the remote so it's a hassle when surfing due to channel volumes being all over the map. I think there are some local places that will repair most any tv for $100, but if I can do this myself with some parts from Radio Shack, I'd give it a try.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Sensor failure is pretty rare on those sets. Make sure that the remote (semi-universal?) hasn't gotten changed to a different brand of TV and if you haven't tried it, get real close to the TV.

A common failure is the standby power supply filter. It can cause erratic remote response (and button operation too). In some cases the set works OK until the first time it's unplugged then it won't turn on again (processor won't reset).

Spending money on an old set that's basically working can be hard to justify. You might want to wait until something else shows up, unless you have a good servicer that you trust (that is familiar with similar sets). It could actually be tricky to find the fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks