How hard is it to change speaker binding posts?

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I have speakers that have connectors that only accept bare wire or pins. I'd like to make it so that they accept banana plugs. I was looking around Parts Express and saw some nice binding posts. My question is: is it hard to replace these? Does it require a lot of soldering or is it a plug-n-screw type of thing? Anyone done this?

Thanks!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
just an FYI.

banana plugs WILL plug correctly into the backside of these. i just leave a set of the flex ones in a pair of my speakers that have binding posts like yours, to allow me to use "banana-plug-ended" speaker cables conveniently.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Threadjack....

Wayne, can you explaing the connections on the back of the JBLs?
There are dual "crimp" type that appear to be connected together by a flat "gold" strip of metal.
The worst part is that it does not appear you can use bannana plugs on them which seems odd. There is a plastic cap right where the bannana plug would go. Can this be removed, I am hesitant to try & pry it loose.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
They put those plastic plugs in there because there is some issue with european power plugs fitting in there, and it can be a fire hazard - something like that. They can be removed, you just need to work on it. I think its to get CE approval.

However, it might not be worth the trouble, just get some good pins or something.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Making this change is not going to improve anything, so I would advise just leaving it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I understand that, I'm just saying that sonically, there will be no improvement for the price, time and effort.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan