How good should my cables be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Sep 14, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

See my system below...

I want good CD sound, and I want pretty good DVD sound. In other words, I think it would make sense to spend a little more on the RCA cables than an optical digital cable for the DVD player. How good of cables should I buy? Also, I have a monster Y connecter, pretty good .5meter monster cable and gold plated radio shack 1/4" adapters to connect the sub to the receiver. I use decently sized monster speaker cable to all my speakers.

2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

are you saying you want to buy rca cables for the dvd player instead of a digital cable? i could be wrong, but i dont think you can get dolby digital or dts with analog cables. some people say 10% of your system cost, but i just buy AR Pro cables and let that be it. they are good build quality, somewhat inexpensive, and sound/look great.
    they arent the best, but definately not the worst.

3. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I think he was simply asking whether he should spend more on the analog RCA cables than on the digital cable(s). That's propably a good decision if one wishes to purchase pre-made cables, but since I'm not much of a believer in boutique cables (I've started to make my own from generic RG-6) I'll let others comment.