How good Is Yamaha RX-V3300? It's $599 now!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Thomas, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Just noticed in my local Good Guys ad the the Yamaha RX-V3300 has been reduced to $599 on closeout. The ad says it is a $1000 savings? Is the sound bright like past Yammy's or is it more in line with the new x400 models? Power claims are 130 watts x 6.

How would it compare to the Denon 3803 or HK 7200?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Compared to HK 7200 it won't have a chance to beat it. It does offer some nice features for a reciever and for $599 it's a really good price too.

The power ratings aren't going to reach 130W x6 though. Yamaha has always been very unfaithful about there power ratings so I wouldn't trust the paper specs although you shouldn't even hear a difference. Just let your ears be the judge on purchasing any of the units.

My personal preference is Harman/Kardon. Some people will swear by HK, others by Denon, other by Yamaha... but yes the Yamaha is "bright" sounding with that unit.

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Unless you have some evidence to post then everything you have just said in regard to the 3300 is invalid.

Id take the 3300 over a 7200 any day of the week. @ $599 they are pretty much giving them away, that is a great deal.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

What Chris says is correct in regards to rated spec. The RXV740 is rated at 75wpc, but puts out only 38 with 5 channels driven. (Source: Sound and Vision)

Also,

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=171344

Oh yes, and before the flaming about ratings starts again, I had a Yamaha 5650 for a few weeks until I decided to go with a Pioneer Elite. Previous threads that I've posted will detail my extreme delight in doing so, and I will mention again that this Pioneer Elite receiver made all the difference in my system. It pushes my system much more cleanly than the Yamaha did.

And another thing...how can the power draw of the 5650 be only 270W, if it is supposed to put out 80x6? (which is 480 watts...)..that means what? only 45wpc really, 6ch driven? Where does all the extra power come from so that it can achieve rated spec?

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

6. James W. Johnson

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I just said that Kevin [​IMG]

8. James W. Johnson

You guys argue amongst yourselves about the power ratings...Unfortunately the recent RX-V2400 Power output thread is going to produce alot of "Yamaha sucks" posts just like a few "Yamaha's are bright" posts from 5 years ago have kept this false information around and it is still regarded as fact at many forums.

All I know is my RX-V3300 is a robust and well built receiver and it can drive my Klipsch speakers to ear deafening levels without sounding strained at all. As far as the amplifer build goes , it has a monster sized 20lb power supply and 2 very large capacitors that are rated at 27,000uF , the whole unit weight is 50lbs...not small at all. Power consumption is only 500 watts but the RX-Z1 is only rated at 600 watts and Sound and Vision measured it to output 109 x6 channels with .015% distortion.

One last thing, Yamaha's do run cooler than HK's , HK's also consume buttloads of power and run hotter than hell.
    Wasted power = heat , no?

I have been in this hobby for quite awhile now, and the Yamaha RX-V3300 is my 3rd receiver, previous units were a Sony STR-DA555ES and a Denon AVR-3300. The Yamaha is the best sounding so far.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well first off you have Klipsch speakers...which are abnormally efficient...more output with given power...

And I'm not basing my argument purely on numbers. If you go into my profile, you'll find the posts pertaining to my agony with the 5650...I have an all Athena setup...Athenas are bright speakers...trust me, the Yamaha made it worse...switching back and forth between it and a Harman Kardon 525 showed this relatively easily. And it didn't have anywhere enough oomph to (cleanly) push the Athenas.

I can't comment for the higher end lines, but the mainstream lines...hands on experience has spoken...

10. James W. Johnson

Before I bought the 3300 and Klipsch speakers I had a 5660 for a short time pushing some other DIY speakers that I had for several years. The other speakers were fairly sensitive @ 92db but were 4ohm and they would dip down below that at times. I had all sorts of amps on these speakers previously including a 900watt QSC pro amp, the 5660 pushed these speakers very well , SPLs were as high as I wanted and bass was tight and clean souding.
    The only reason I took back the 5660 is because I found a great deal on the 3300.

Some receivers sound good to people who have never dabbled in HiFi before because they has bloated and sloppy bass which tends to make it seem like the quantity of bass is more.

Dont confuse the 5650 with the 3300 because they are not even in the same ballpark as far as the amp goes.

The 5650 has a 9.3lb power supply and 10,000uF
    the 5660 has a 9.7lb power supply 12,000uF
    the 3300 has a 19.6lb power supply and 22,000uF
    The RXZ1 has a 21.6lb power supply and 27,000uF

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

It seems that anytime "Yamaha" is in a thread heading, there are those who show up to proclaim how dishonest the company is, or ratings this and ratings that........

Personally I also have a preference that my ears helps me determine regardless of magazine articles.

And I will add, if you don't like Yamaha, then don't buy it. Some of us really get tired of this pounding......

If you can't say something good about YOUR own unit, then I really wish you wouldn't say anything at all.......

I'm with you James...... and I have owned 4 Yamaha receivers and will soon update to another.... but only after my ears decide what sounds good to me as they have before......
    [​IMG]

12. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

13. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

OK, I think the line has to be drawn here with this unit in question. The 3300 is barely a step down from the flagship receiver and deserves better treatment on these boards. The X200 Yamaha series was definitely bright but not this unit. The 3300 is very neutral sounding and you may also characterise the sound as detailed. This unit is built like a tank and is in a whole different league than the 2400/1400 receivers. This receiver weighs a whole 20 lbs more than the 2400/1400 receivers and I have no doubt this will live upto its stated power.
    At $599 this should be a no-brainer!

14. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I think the point being put across is just to show how Yamaha rates it and that it isn't honest.

Some people love Yamaha, hell I almost bought one myself. But you can find something with more power and with the same features basically as the Yamaha. The only thing a newbie knows is the amount of power a channel outputs equals better.

Unfortunatly that isn't true at all and it creates that newbie to not totally know what they are buying. The HK AVR-7200 can push a shitload of power through it which is very nice, and it is also doing way above rated specs... another plus of a flagship reciever. I would rather buy from a company that is honest rather than dishonest.

I've found the HK to be very pleasing. When comparing my current AVR-225 to the Yamaha 740 I found my reciever to be much more clear sounding and to output a little more power into the speakers. I am very happy with the unit I have and I swear my HK.

Of course everyone has there own favorite but I don't see how anyone could back up the Yammy's specs... they just aren't honest.

15. Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney Auditioning

I am happy with my Yamaha RXV-800. I just wish they would update the looks a bit. The amber digits are really dated looking.

16. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Killer deal, can't go wrong at that price.
    I'm using the previous generation RXV3000 to drive a Veritas HT and no complaints. Plays loud and clear. Love the front effects and could not live with out the adventure mode now. 8 channel stereo is great too for radio or low volume TV listening.

17. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I was find it amusing when someone asks about a deal that they saw and if it is a good one. Then people who obviously have a distaste for a brand needs to share their 2 cents on how the company is inferior. What help are you possibly giving by saying that another receiver in its' line tested negatively for output? That is not the question. The question is "is it a good deal?!?" It is obvious that a few people on this thread is privy to H/K, and rightfully so, they make wonderful receivers. It just gets downright funny when people have nothing better to do then go on a thread and bash a receiver with (from what it sounds like) some intention to get that person to buy their receiver make. I will end my rant now and offer advice to the original poster to answer HIS QUESTION:
    Yamaha makes very quality and well built receivers. I think for that money you WILL NOT find a better receiver. It is just a notch below the flagship and will have all of the things you will want in an HT receiver. To my ears the brightness that people heard with yamaha went away with the rx-v 1200 and 2200 models. I find them to be very detailed not bright. You will find people say things are "bright" that IS NOT a bad thing. It is a sound characteristic. Just like "warm" is. Receivers and speakers that are "bright" are more detailed in my opinion because they tend to accentuate the higher range frequencies more. Many people like this....me included. Some people like a warmer sound because it will accentuate the midrange a bit more making it less fatiguing to listen to. It is totaly up to your ears to decide what you like. I do think that a warmer receiver tends to be better matched with brighter speakers and a bright receiver should be pared with a warmer speaker. I think yammie pared with klipsch can get painful (again my opinion) but with say a Boston accoustic will sound very nice. Denon or H/K pared with Paradigm or Klipsh to me sounds better then pared with a warmer speaker. Agin this is my opinion, several may disagree. At any rate, if it was me I would jump all over that deal and laugh my way back home because many people bought that receiver for 1500$ not too long ago. Best of luck with your decision.

18. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Any $1500 receiver that can be had, BRAND NEW IN BOX for $599 is a good deal, hands down. By the damn thing and end this thread. I'd buy it. If you won't buy it, buy this HK 330 that I just bought, I'll sell it to you for $500 on the nose, then I'LL go buy the Yamaha.

19. Chris Bedard

Chris Bedard Stunt Coordinator

I read an interesting review of the 3803, and i think the same applies to Yamaha.

Both makers use their output ratings measured at 6 ohms instead of the standard HT Speaker's 8 ohms. Using this lower ohm setting to measure amplifier output is a way to plump up the output numbers (150x5 say), and the amps will most likely drive that, at that impedence. Of course, I don't know about most of you, but all of MY speakers are 8ohm rated, so.... that number is pretty, but it's also pretty meaningless and useless.

20. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    If you take a look here you will see that over-rating a receiver's power output is the rule rather than the exception (excluding Harman Kardon). Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Kenwood, JVC and Marantz all do it and Yamaha is by no means the worst perpetrator. Singling Yamaha out is rather odd and not at all helpful for the original poster.

For $599, the near-flagship RXV-3300 is a fantastic buy.

Adam