How good is the XBOX at playing DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kidd, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Just the other day I purchased an XBOX. I already have a dvd player, but it's a pretty bare bones model. (Pioneer DV-333) How is the XBOX at playing dvds? Does it have zoom, slow motion, etc? I've thought about putting my Pioneer on another television and just using the XBOX as my primary dvd player. I just don't want to plunk down the extra $30 for the dvd remote (thanks for nothing, M$) if it's not worth it. Thanks.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd be interested to know as well...

3. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I find that it is an above average player for low end. It has an up to 10X zoom and slow motion. The on screen menu is a bit anoying but functions well. One thing that I have found is that it handles a layer change very well. It's worth picking up.

Dean

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Yea, Brian, I am in the same predicament. I just bought an XBox on Friday and would like to incorporate it into my main Home Theatre system in the living room. If I do this, I would like to replace my older, 3 year old Toshiba DVD player (SD-1200) with the XBox. The Toshiba has been flawless to date, except for the bug where straight lines appear jagged. Can we assume the player would be on par with the older, lower end Toshiba, Pioneer and Sony players and superior to the new cheap players, i.e. Apex, Mintek?

5. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

My XBox has served as "backup" to my Pioneer Elite DV-37 on at least a couple of occasions. For some reason my progressive scan Pioneer player could never play the Dinosaur and Moulin Rouge DVDs but, the XBox always played them flawlessly. And now, the same thing has happened with the new Goldmember DVD. My DV-37 has problems with it while my XBox plays it like a champ.

However, I must note that the video quality is definitely noticeable between the two players but, not enough to call the XBox a bad player.

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I'm just curious as to why that is, Dave? Is the Daewoo that great or is it that it can be modified to multi-region so that's why you prefer it.

Oscar-- I can understand that it wouldn't compare to your Elite player. I just have an entry-level Pioneer, though. Is it at least comparable to that?

8. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Well, being relatively new to the entire Home Theater thing, my Xbox is my only DVD player at the moment. Does a fine job for me, works with my universal remote just fine.
    I'd say the only down side is that it's pretty loud, I mean the fan/idle noise is a bit loud. But I just turn the volume up [​IMG]

9. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I think the X-Box makes a very good stand alone player if it's all you can afford at the moment. I find that it does not have the picture quality of my main player (JVC XV-SA75), but it is definitely better then most 1st generation or sub-$100 decks. The layer change is incredibility fast as well, you can't even notice it.

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Well, I think for now I'll keep it as a game machine. Maybe down the road I'll spring for the extra remote once knock-offs become available. I still say that it should work out of the box. The remote thing is a sham.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Brian -- The reason they do that is because Sony owns the rights to the DVD format. For Sony to put DVD playback in PS2 consoles is free, MS has to pay Sony like $5-15 bucks per console for the privaledge. So MS sells a DVD remote unit that costs $2 to make plus the $15 to Sony for $20, they make a whopping $3 on each one. If people don't buy the remote, then MS doesn't have to give Sony any money when an Xbox sells.

Does anyone know if the Xbox plays VCDs and SVCDs? How well does it do this if it does?

12. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I did not know that. Interesting outlook. They actually sell the remotes for $30, though. A little more than $3 profit. Still. Makes more sense to me now.

As for VCD's? Apparently won't play them. Another reason I think I'll keep my Pioneer.

13. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

As Brian said, no VCD's... and it's finicky with cd-r's as well.
    On a side note - A great place to see the compatibilities of formats for any dvd player or game system... check out the lists at www.vcdhelp.com

14. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I don't like the zoom feature on the Xbox. Seems like you zoom it once, and boom!- It's too far zoomed in. Then you can't scroll around the picture either. At least not with mine...

For my first DVD player, I enjoy it! I actually play more DVD's than games.

15. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    See if you can get someone from another DVD region to buy the XBOX DVD remote there and ship it to you. Since the XBOX gets its region code setup by the IR dongle you plug into the front on the first use of the remote...you can get a region 2 DVD player (or another region), simply by using a XBOX DVD remote from another region. I believe this will lock in the region on the player though so once you use it, it will be that region forever.

Just a thought is you decide not to use it for a regular DVD player, but would like to have another region encoded player for about $30.

16. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Hmmmmmm. Brian, you naughty boy. Tempting, tho.

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Brian - if I snag an R2/R4 remote, will the XBox do PAL->NTSC conversion?

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

19. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

What?!?! It will?!? [​IMG]
    Wow, I didn't realize that. Interesting...most interesting...hello, Japan? Yes, I'd like to place an order...
    [​IMG]

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Japan is not PAL, it's NTSC
    You can buy Japanese DVD kits from www.ncsx.com
    Just remember once you plug in a dongle, it's that code FOREVER.