What's new

how good is the THX calibration on.... (1 Viewer)

KellyR

Agent
...the star wars (episode 1 and 2) DVDs? I've used them, but how do they compare to AVAI or the others? Can anyone direct me to other links on this subject as I can't find any. Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Plus, THX is tailored to the individual disk it is issued with. It is not actually "reference", more of a tuning for that particular title. Many use this for a cheap alternative to Avia et. al., but there is no substitute for the standard.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Plus, THX is tailored to the individual disk it is issued with. It is not actually "reference", more of a tuning for that particular title. Many use this for a cheap alternative to Avia et. al., but there is no substitute for the standard.
That's interesting since I would've thought that a particular calibration geared toward one title would be a more accurate presentation compared to one calibration applied to many titles. I could see someone having both tools and using Optimode for special presentations. The obvious hassle is having to calibrate for each title.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If you wanna calibrate audio, see if your receiver has a white noise generator. I know mine does (Kenwood).

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
If you wanna calibrate audio, see if your receiver has a white noise generator. I know mine does (Kenwood).
Mine has one as well. But I would reccomend using a dvd that generates white noise instead (Ex: Any disc that has Optimode). That would be a more accurate calibration since it better reflects the actual listening conditions where the sound comes from your player and then is processed by your receiver.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does Digital Video Essentials offer anymore value than Avia for someone who has an analog display?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I always hear this claim of THX optimode tests being disc specific, but I find that the test patterns are the same on all of the discs and the results yielded are also the same.

I would never substitute the THX patterns for my Avia disc, but the few times I have played around with the optimode patterns have given me results pretty close to what I get with Avia. A dedicated test disc like Avia or Video Essentials will be a lot more precise in fine tuning, but if someone does not yet own one of those discs, then the THX Optimode can be a very handy tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks