How good is the Sony XBR Grand WEGA Rear Projection 60"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samir R, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Samir R

Samir R Auditioning

Hi, My father and I are looking into buying a new widescreen TV, and we have a connection at Sony that can get us a discount on any Sony product. I was wondering if the new Sony XBR Grand WEGA Rear Projection TV, Model # KF-60XBR800 competes with the Hitachi 57XWX20B or Mitsubishi WS55511 in terms of picture quality. I've been told that this latest model can compete with Mitsubishi in terms of picture quality. Is this true? Can anyone give me their opinions on this Sony TV, like on longevity and repair & maintenance

Thanks

Samir

2. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Samir, go to the avsforum.com, acouple posters there have this new set, it looks great, the thing I like about the hitachi, is the dvi and firewire connections, I am either getting the 50" ToshibaHdx82, or the 50" Grand Wega if I put the set in my bedroom, if I redo the basement in my new house I am either getting the new 57" Hitachi or the 60" grand wega

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Do you really have to ask. . .

4. Samir R

Samir R Auditioning

Unfortunately I do because I am new to the whole Big Screen Tv thing. We have never owned one before, and I don't really trust salespeople completely because each store says one brand is top of the line because they're paid to promote them over others. So I want to know the pros and cons of these models jsut to be sure that we're not throwing our money away on the Sony name. Most stores we've been to here don't yet have the XBR800's in stock, so we can't see how they perform, so any info you can give would be helpful.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You can count on one thing. If it has XBR in the model number it will be good.
    It becomes a matter of opinion whenever you are looking at the line leaders on all the models, I choose a Mitsubishi only because where I live I can get a better deal than on Sony XBRs.
    I would consider XBRs, ELITES, DIAMONDs, all excellent choices, it boils down to features at this point. The quality is there, they are all at the top of their class. . .

6. Chris AD

Chris AD Auditioning

I'd certainly go read the AVS Forum discussions of these sets, and they are extensive. The new Sony GW XBRs are second generation LCD RPTV and thus avoid issues of burn-in and convergence inherent to CRT RPTVs. The XBRs tend to be more expensive, and may not give quite as pleasing a picture (viewer dependent) as top of the line CRT RPTVs. Historically, the LCD sets have had trouble with producing true blacks. But, you ought to go look for yourself to see what suits your own needs.

7. Scott Kush

Scott Kush Auditioning

I also was able to get a great deal on one and decided to take the plunge. I was a bit nervous as I had done quite a bit of research and ordered it sight unseen. The first generation versions were good but not great. These are the sets you'll read a lot about on the boards. Biggest issue was the black levels. (fyi, bad blacks make the picture look washed out due to blacks appearing more gray than anything). This has been greatly improved.

Here was my thought process. Side by side, I might think a Pioneer Elite or another TV looks a little better (and the differential in picture quality is rapidly closing). I know that when this thing is sitting in my living room, I'll never remember the difference and will have a few grand sitting in my pocket. Consider ambient room lighting and other uncontrolled factors in my home and chances are I probably won't see a difference even if they were sitting side by side in my house.

Here are a few other advantages as I understand them (I'm no expert - just from some basic research):
    - no burn in. static images on CRT (cathode ray tube) rear projections will eventually cause uneven wear of the guns and always appear on your tv. Thus, hours of CNBC is a no-no. Hours of watching 4:3 on the widescreen is also supposedly bad.
    - tremendous longevity. I was told that a simple bulb replacement (~$200) after a few years is all that may be needed to bring the tv back to "like new." Don't know if it's true, but the fact is there are no guns to wear out. I'm sure any quality tv will last long enough.
    - much lighter.
    - much less bulk.
    - a few others, but we don't have all day now, do we.

Bottom line, I've read a lot, and seen a lot. This tv will stand up to the best tvs out there, and if you get a deal on it, I don't think you can go wrong.

Have fun.

8. Samir R

Samir R Auditioning

Thanks a bunch you guys, your comments really help. I think, depending on what the final cost is, that I just might go for the XBR800, unless anyone can think of a REALLY bad problem that makes this not worth the purchase. thanks a lot

Samir

9. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Samir,

Go for it! I just exchanged a Samsung 50" DLP for a Sony Grand Wega II and have no regrets. Black levels could be a bit better but that's about the only major downside. DVD's look amazing on this TV. Digital Cable ranges from crap (low bandwidth channels) to pretty decent (HBO, etc.). I don't give this factor too much weight because I realize that it is a short term problem. I have seen HDTV broadcasts on this thing and they are a sight to behold.

The DLP technology is intriguing but it's not quite there yet, IMO. LCOS is supposed to be amazing but the price point is beyond the reach of us mere mortals. If you're turned off to the idea of burn in, then definitely give the XBR800 some consideration.

10. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Well, that will depend if you plan on watching any 1080i HD programming. The Grand Wega only does 720P, I'm not even sure if it will down covert 1080i to 720p. Plus you have to replace that $200 light in it when it burns out. I have a Mits 55908, once I had it calibrated, nothing comes close to it. The only set I think that is better is a calibrated Elite. If you have to have a Sony, go with the KP-57WV700 Good luck..

11. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

The Grand Wega does convert 1080i to 720p. Some would argue that 720p is better than 1080i and either one is defined as hdtv. The SOny KP-57WV600 is less than the 700 and uses the same display technology so is a better buy. It retails for $1000 less than the GW, though the difference will be less if you can buy it through the sony family program. I've seen posts indicating that the GW is in short supply and people trying to get one through the Sony family program can expect very long waits. SOme who ordered in November are still waiting.

The Grand Wega would have a few advantages over the 57WV600/700 primarily that it takes less space, never needs convergence (a crt based system may need reconvergence yearly, more or less), and if it ages can be restored to new image quality with a $200 user replaceable lightbulb. In comparision crt based systems also age (lose contrast and brightness) and basically then need a major repair to replace the crts. In terms of picture quality the two are comparable and it is a matter of taste. WIth the crt systems you will only want to watch it at eye level and from within about 60 degrees horizontally. The lcd machine may have larger viewing angles, though still not like a plasma screen.

12. Jeff Me

Jeff Me Agent

Actually the set converts everything to 1366x768.