What's new

how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite..... (1 Viewer)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Normal. . . Mine does this several times during a DVD movie or when the lights flicker . . . Not a problem. Default is stereo and for those moments when there is no signal it drops to stereo. . . Once the signal is restored then it goes back to what you set her at or if set to automatic surround to the mode the source is in. . .

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah that's normal; you should also notice it drop into Stereo if you pause the 5.1 DVD, and quickly switch back to DD/DTS when you un-pause.

aldamon

Second Unit
Hey, I just ordered one of these from Panwebi, but now I'm wondering if it's going to blow my JBL N24s. Guess I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. :)

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, newest of all newbies here but I've followed a couple of threads while searching for reviews of the Pio 1014.

First, this is an amazing forum and I'm happy to have joined and lurked over the last few days.

Now I've come for some help.

I decided to jump on a local open box 1014 at BB for $359USD and I'm lovin'it.

However, here's my question, I've been talking locally with a guy who's selling his Elite 35TX for $375obo and then I ran into a local dealer with an RXV650 for the same price out the door.

My current speaker set-up is pre-wired for 6.1 and I don't intend on going 7.1 just because of the additional wiring and speaker purchase that "The Boss" would not approve of.

1) Sonically I don't know if I'd even exploit the benefits of 7.1 in a 14lx14wx22h (roughly 4000 cubic foot room) with only 3 full walls and the fourth opening completely to the kitchen (absolutely no 4th wall so no "practical" placement of the left surr. speaker - stands are out of the question because it would be right in the middle of the 2 rooms.)

My current system was/is 5.1 with my RXV596a Yammie and we moved into a home with a 6.1 set-up (the previous owner left his 3 rear speakers).

2) Are the 3 units comparable at all in terms of performance?

3) Bells and whistles the rxv650 and 1014 have ypao and mcacc respectively, both have OSD but the 1014's is limited only to set-up. Both the 1014 and 650 have video up-conversion though I don't know if that is very much of an asset.
Power wise the 1014 is the brute of the bunch but not that far ahead with regards to my speakers (running Athena Micra 6 with Velo DPS-10 as the sub).

4) If all were the same price which would you choose? 1014 and 650 are open box and the 35tx is 2nd hand. I really can't afford any more than the $350/375 range and I'm skeptical about the Elite's on Ebay that have been refurbed for about the same amount.

I really appreciate any feedback, I've got a few days to decide before I have to return the 1014 to BB if I go with another unit. The reason I jumped on the 1014 was mainly due to this forum! #2 is because I had an $85 gift card at BB that used toward the purchase.

TIA for any help or tips!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Aldemon, Can I ask U how U ordered this from Panwebi? I looked on their site and it wasn't listed. Also, how much was it?

Thanx! D

LuckyB

Agent
I also got this Pio 1014 running 7.1 with Athena Micra6 as surround and AS-B1's as main speakers. When I do MCACC, it sets the front speakers to LARGE.
Should I set them to SMALL manualy?
I've tried both small and large settings but can't tell the difference.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's my odyssey.... I emailed Panwebi about stopping by their store to pick this up as I live in Manhattan and wanted to save on shipping. They emailed back that they only ship. I emailed them saying, "I thought you were affiliated with the Panasonic store outlet at same address which advertises in local papers. They replied, kind of conceded that fact and said I could call them and ask but the price might be different. So I called, mentioned all this and I wanted this unit and whomever I talked to said they had just gotten in "the new ones". I asked "The 1015?" They said yes. "The new model?" Yes. I asked how much, they quoted $359. wow, I thought. Are you sure? Yes, they said, come down, ask for Keith. Great. I'm coming.
Later on after running all the way uptown to get my pooch home and taking several subways to get there before 7, I walk in and mention the call, ask for Keith. A salesguy asks "what model?" I say the 1015. I'm all jazzed. He comes back out and says, "there is no 1015."
"Ummm, yeah there is. It's the new model and someone earlier on the phone told me U got a whole bunch which is why I came down." I say.
"No. We just got a whole bunch of 1014's in..."
Ok, Now I'm pissed. I repeat myself again and another guy says they don't have the 1015. So I ask, "When will U get them in?" Guy says, "Maybe 2 weeks."
So I leave store in a huff because I feel like I've been jerked around, bait and switched, whatever.
I debated just getting the 1014 then but I gotta tell you guys, that store seemed a bit sleazy. A bit like the tourist trap electronic stores in Times Sq. where the warranties are invalid because they're not official dealers.
Also, I remember reading that I wouldn't get a Pioneer warranty here, just some store one. After seeing the store in person, I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone by next year.
So then I rush down to JandR (closes at 7:30) and snag a spanking new one WITH Pioneer warranty on sale for $349. Got it home and am DIGGING it! My Queen DVDs in DTS 96/24 sound amazing. Now to explain to my girlfriend why there's a new amp in the house!!!!

Anyway, just my tale and my 2 cents... :)d

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Damnit! My 6 month old 1014 just died. The MCACC is flashing and the receiver won't turn on. UGH!

PaulSquatch

Auditioning

Anyone else have this problem with their 1014's? I just picked up a 1014 open box at BB. Their floor display model was doing the same thing, just a flashing MCACC light and no turning on.

On a similar note, should I get the BB 4-year performance service plan for $35? Does anyone happen to know if I can get the service plan from BB (the day) after purchase?

-----------
PaulSquatch

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Angelo! Welcome to the forum. $359 for an open box 1014 seems quite a bit high these days. I'm thinking well under $300 in todays market. I'm also not a fan of used gear unless you know the seller, can verify everything works and you get all the important parts. I'm not familiar enough with the RX650 to know if that's a good deal or not but it seems to be the best of the three, if you get the factory warranty. In any event, don't hurry your purchase. I'm sure those aren't the only three good deals out there. This stuff is like computers. An even better deal will pop up in a week or two. But an open box 1014 for $359? I'd pass on that one. BB should be ashamed of themselves.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
I agree with Gene. For $410 you can get a brand new 1015 from dbuys.com shipped or a brand new 1014 for $380 shipped which is probably a little less since at BB you had to pay sales tax.

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
I recently picked up a 54TX for $900 at Ultimate Electronics here in Albuquerque; New, in the box :)

jeffrey bess

Auditioning
i just got the pioneer vsx1014tx for 202.99 at best buy.............it was clearanced and open boxed,although never touched,down to 289.99 and best buy has a 30% off coupon on there website for open boxed items........all i can say is wow,200 bucks for a thx reciever im in my glory.

lee ison

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably one of the last guys to get a 1014, so here goes .I have two subs which i am powering with a two channel amp that has no gain control, using a dahlquist x-over(active). Can i run this amp from the 1014 straight to the power-amp if i use the auto speaker setup without blowing my pwramp or subs, in other words will the 1014 control it? you know no gain or x-over other than the in the 1014

Steve Casagrand

Auditioning
That should work fine - I'm running something similar. 1014 sub pre-out to a power amp driving two "subs" (actually a pair of old full-sized Koss CM/1030s).

It's old-school, but works remarkably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks