What's new

how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite..... (1 Viewer)

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Here it is.

Go to the Pioneer web page and checkout the VSX-52TX they have a back panel view of it and it is identical.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I use a lot of different forums and everyone is a bit different on how to copy in pictures and links and such.

Couldn't figure how to do that for the life of me.

But I do love my 1014! Watched Roy Orbison "Black and White" yesterday and John Fogerty "Premonition". I've got a complete Klipsch Synergy F-3 surrond system, with a FSW-12 subwoofer.

:D :D :D

Man.. Fogerty can sing and play!

...and the Orbison DVD is done so well in DTS and Springsteen and all the superstars do such a great job backing Roy Orbison. Pretty Woman put me back to 1964 and my wonderful teen years. LOL!!

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I am as they say in "talk-radio", a long-time listener/ first-time caller. I've been following this discussion because I'm in the same place that I bet a lot of you are (or were). I've built out a home theater in the finished section of my basement and I'm shopping for HT components.

I compared this receiver to the Yamaha 5760 but came to the conclusion that, feature-wise,it probably deserves to be compared to the 5790, but is priced closer to the former. Based on that, I had made up my mind that I was going to buy the 1014 but the quote above stopped me dead in my tracks.

So I gotta ask, how useful or important is that feature?

Any ideas on the 1014 vs. Yamaha 5760 or even 5790?

And one last question, please, if you could indulge a new guy. Does the "personality" of a receiver (warm, bright, etc.) really make that much difference given the MCACC or YPAO functions? Wouldn't that tend to compensate for any inherent coloration? And wouldn't speaker choice have a more direct affect over this quality? (OK, I guess that's two questions, sorry)...

James Phung

Second Unit
ray,
You should really ask yourself that question... how important is listening to 2nd zone with a different source important to you?

For me, I have no use for this. I don't need my receiver to play music in a 2nd zone. Nor do I want to make a long cable run (30ft+) into another room in order to do this.

Also, the 1014 will be able to use the rear surround connections to power a 2nd zone with the SAME source. However using it for 2nd zone means you can only use your main listening area as 5.1.

If this feature is important to you then you should look at the 52tx instead or some other receiver. There's no point in caring about this feature unless you really want to use it.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
As James says, I can't picture "me" wanting to have two different sources playing 2 different outputs in two different rooms in my home. My home just isn't that big.

Re: the "personality" of the receiver. This is a very "opinionated topic", but my opinion is that these receivers, with electronics today being so sophisticated, are all so flat frequency reponse wise, and so quiet noise wise, and so clean distortion wise, that none of them are much different than the others from a "sound" perspective.
Something like the 1014, or the Yammie ...very similar.

I personally love the Pioneer MCACC capability, but I have no experience with the Yammie. But I know I have a seamless sounding system that prolly sounds twice as good as it deserves to, given the money I spent.. all because that Pioneer is doing it's job so well.

Go for either one.. you can't go wrong.. and don't worry about the "bright", "Warm", "harsh" stuff.. it's prolly room acoustics more than anything that are making any subtle differences.

Oh.. PS, as for interconnect cables, cheap it out, you won't hear a difference there either. ...and Home-depot 12 guage is just as good as Monster cable for your speakers.

Buy the best speakers you can. ..and spend the rest on music and DVDs.

MonicaT

Auditioning
I found this forum very helpful as I am trying to set up my 1st HT. I was debating whether to get the 1014, Yamaha 5760 or H/K 235. After reading this thread I guess I am going for the 1014. I do have one (forgive me if silly) question though:
-5760: has HDTV (720p/1080i) Compatibility
Wide-Range Video Bandwidth (60MHz -3 dB)
-235: wide-bandwidth, HDTV-compatible component video inputs 10Hz–30MHz (–3dB)
-1014 : 40MHz (–3dB)
Does it mean that the 5760 works better for HDTV?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
You will notice ZERO difference between 40mhz and 60mhz for Component bandwidth.
I notice no difference between component thru my 1014 vs. HMDI to HDMI via my cable box to my Sony KV32HS420.

James Phung

Second Unit
The bandwidth on the HK will make a difference. It may be rather small, but just enough. 720p and 1080i need a minimum of 37mhz before the picture degrades. Though, I've heard reports of people getting little degradation in picture at 22mhz.

Hal

Grip
I noticed a degradation on my HDTV thru the 1014. I now have my Motorola 6412 connected directly to my KV-32HS420.

It's the only disappointment I've had with it. I could still return it to BB and get a HK-335 for another $200 or so but will probably keep it and apply the dollar difference on some Klipsch RB-25's and a RC-25. Budget constraints being what they are I find myself compelled to compromise.

Wolf

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Hal, you are the 1st person to report this on just about any forum regarding the 1014.

I without a doubt, do NOT notice any difference on mine.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Hal, you are the 1st person to report this on just about any forum regarding the 1014.

I without a doubt, do NOT notice any difference on mine.

Hal

Grip
Guess I'm not the only nocturnal Dude in these here parts...

I was unhappy with the pass-thru signal from day one. I even called Pioneer, which was a waste of time. I get better info on forums like this. Finally last night I just bypassed the receiver and ran the video directly to my Sony. It looks better to me ,albeit not dramatically so. But the reason I started getting this stuff in the first place was I wanted the best experience I could afford. I programmed the Pioneers remote for both the Sony and the Motorola so it's not a big problem.

Just an annoyance.

BTW, I was/am using good quality component cables twixt the cable box, receiver, and TV.

Wolf

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Interesting HAL, I just never noticed the problem and I have def. looked for it. I only have a 32" Direct View (sony KV32HS420), so maybe it isn't that big of a difference on that size HDTV.

Hal

Grip
I have that same TV. I wish it were otherwise cause I really wanted the convenience of using the receiver to switch signals. Fewer buttons to push=GOOD.

I hope to get VE soon so I can start living dangerously.

I'm color blind...

Wolf

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm really on the fence. Do I just get this now or wait for the 1015...? Is it worth the wait? I have a smaller size room. And what's the best price seen for the 1014? I read likee 339 from an online company but their website doesn't seem to have it anymore....

Thanx!!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also have pass-thru problems with my one week old 1014 on my rptv. vertical white lines. Very bad when going from av cable in to component out. Not so bad component to component but still there. Haven't had time to check it out. Hopefully it's correctable with some fiddling. Wasn't there with my H/K 520 which I used as a switcher only, no up-conversion.

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Does the 1014 downconvert component or s-video to s-video or composite? I don't have everything hooked up so I haven't bothered to check?

I've noticed something weird while watching a DVD, at the layer brake, the reciever dropped into stereo. Has this happened to anyone else? I haven't watched to many 5.1 movies yet on it, and I want to return it soon if it is faulty?

One last question, my friends at work are dogging me for buying the Pioneer and tell me that it has horrible distortion compared to the Yammie 5760. Is this true? Should I spend an extra $400 to get the 5790?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks