how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite.....

Rolando

Screenwriter
Now I know which amp to get but now what type of speakers?

4 towers and center

or

2 tower for front, 2 bookshelf for rear then center

OR

2 Towers for front and 2 dipoles for rear then center.

I keep hearing dipoles good for surround but won't it affect directionality?

Won't it ruin certain directional effects? I figure 4 towers is best way to go but room size might not allow.

What do you guys think?

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
J&R (www.jr.com) and Etronics (www.etronics) both carry the 1014TX at good prices.

I would note that Etronics is not an authorized dealer on any of the products they sell though.

J&R the retailer is an authorized Pioneer Home Electronics retailer (they use to carry elites too, but no longer due to dispute with Pioneer about discounting elites..atleast thats what the saleman told me). I'm not sure about internet sales and how it works with the warranty though as they are not listed as an authorized internet dealer.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Can you guys clarify something about the MCACC on the 1014?

Does the auto MCACC do any of the equalization/measuring or is it just 5 bands of manual EQ after the fact? Can each channel be accessed independantly? I quickly skimmed through the options and didn't see that.

I saw the Elite 54tx right beside the 1014 and they are obviously the same unit except for the gloss black finish
The 1014 manual even says "Elite" below the model number.

I think I found a decent price in Toronto. PM me if you're in TO and shopping around. 2001's price was too rigid. Kind of annoying considering they didn't even have it setup and their sales people don't really have any knowledge of the units.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7.1 speaker setup, with the front towers being 4 ohms each and the center/surrounds being 6 ohms each. The rears are 8 ohm. Will the VSX-1014 work with my existing speaker setup?

Thanks, Bill

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1014TX has automatic equalization with options of either flat or front-match. The EQ settings are open to adjustment after they are automaticly set. The 1014TX is NOT the same as the 54TX, theire built on slightly different chasis. The 54TX and 56TXi are built on the same chasis. The 1014TX and 52TX are built on the same chasis.

The 1014TX has the ability to drive 6ohm speakers. I haven't tried it w/ 4ohm speakers but Pioneer receivers have has problems w/ 4ohm loads in the past.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Ned, I would love to hear that price. I am looking to get that this week-end. will wait if I have to but...

Wayne Ernst

Effects Supervisor

Ned, you must mean that you saw the 52TX and the 1014 side-by-side. The 54TX is about an inch taller than the 52TX/1014 receivers.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Yes, typed the wrong model. They only had the 56txi, 52tx and the 1014.

I'm gonna pick up the 1014 tomorrow. Looks like a great unit.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I might actually get the 52TX after all, local dealer tells me the difference would only be $150 more than the 1014.

Might be worth it for the extra year warranty and multi room capability.

no idea why I would need that other connection. RS232 or something right?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Chuck,
Are you considering this over your current Pioneer 912?
Always try it out from there for 30 days...

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I am considering this Chad. The 912 does a decent job with HT - I wonder how noticeable an upgrade the 1014 would be. The question is do I want to make this jump or wait awhile and making a bigger jump to something better (like your 54tx for example). I'm also curious to see if the Pioneer at this price point will put pressure on Yamaha to drop the price of their 5790/1400 series (and coming replacements).

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I went from a Pioneer 811S (predecessorto 912) to a Denon 1803 and heard no improvement. I went from the 1803 to a Sony 4ES and heard a large improvement. I went from the 4ES to an Elite 43TX (comparable to the 54TX minus current features) and heard a slight improvement. I went from the 43TX to the 1014TX and they sound nearly identical (except for a few room calibration corrections). My logic tells me (based on past experience w/ comparable models) that going from the 912 to the 1014TX would be a very noticable improvement, but waiting for the 54TX would offer only marginaly more improvement. The only features I see in the 54TX that I would like are a slight advantage in build (only 5lb difference) and a slightly more advanced room eq (Pioneer's site says they both have 5bands of eq but i think that's a typo and the 54TX has more, 7 maybe?). So for the rather large price difference (close to $400, almost twice the price) the 54TX didn't offer enough of an upgrade (either features or build, i heard no difference in sound) to merrit the cost. The 1014TX is an incredible value and personaly I wouldn't pay more for anything else out right now until i hit the $1200 - $1500 range. The yamaha and denon offerings in the price range have slightly more advanced room eq but take a large hit in true power ratings. All other features are comparable, and I've had a very good track record w/ pioneer receivers. To me the 1014TX offers the best performance/price ratio out there.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to hear BestBuy will be carrying this item. Maybe it will afford me an in-home demo if I haven't already purchased a receiver before they get it in stores. The BB website says the 1014TX will be available 9/16-9/25. My local dealer, J&R, also has it in stock but they still haven't set it up yet.

P.S. Stephen, when are you going to update your HT website so we can see some pictures of this unit!? : )

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Sounds like you are sold on the 1014 Stephen! Good to hear the upgrade history from someone who had similar gear. One concern I have is sound for music. I am gaining an appreciation for music sound quality and wonder how for example the 1014 and 54tx differ (DACs, hi-bit sampling etc) - I don't know much about the tech behind those sorts of things.

I agree the 1014 seems to be an incredible value...I'm still shocked it's not much more $ than what I paid for my 912 a year ago. I do like Pioneer - very user friendly, nice remote, nice auto set-up (and curious to see how the advanced MCACC works).

Roderick Y

Auditioning
I don't suppose I should be concerned if Best Buy lists the model as the VSX-1014 while Vann's and Pioneer's own site have it as the VSX-1014TX-K?

Would this receiver go well with the Denon DVD-1910 (whenever it becomes available)?

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe you should worry. 'TX' just stands for THX certified on the Pioneers and 'K' designates the color is Black.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Still deciding if the $150 extra for the 52TX is worth it.

Do both of these offer connections for 7 speakers + sub or only 6 speakers.

I hear 7 speaker set up is best for 6.1 to help rear imaging.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Both have the exact same speaker connections. They have 7 channels of amplification and corresponding 7 sets of binding post for speakers along w/ pre-out for a powered sub.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav