What's new

How good is the phono section on my Denon 5800? (1 Viewer)

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I just got back into vinyl about 5 months ago and had used my Yamaha HTR-5250's phono stage with my Music Hall MMF-5. It sounded okay but I knew I could do better. I didn't have much of a budget to spend and ended up getting the Gram Amp 2 SE. It made a big difference in the sound and would recommend it.

If you're thinking of a tube amp there are the EAR 834P and Wright WWP100C; both used at your price range. As for DIY there is the Bottlehead Seduction as Manny has suggested or another one is Hagerman Cornet.

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
I might have a chance at a used Lehman Black Cube for $320.
They say it's the 'improved' one, and I'm assuming that means it has the power supply upgrade.
Think that's a decent deal?

JL

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I am finally getting to jump into vinyl. I am 28 and have never used a decent reocrd player before but one listen of Muddy Water's Folk Singer on vinyl about two years ago I have been lusting since.

I should be getting a full setup by mid June. Have a Granite Audio tube preamp w/ built tube phono on the way and in June will be looking to add a Rega P25 w/ a Dynavector 10X5 cartridge. This will probably hold me over for quite some time although the P9 will always be out there calling my name.:)

Users who are viewing this thread