How good is the new Marantz DV8300 dvd audio/sacd player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

As many of you know, I am looking for a really good combo player. I am almost sold on the Yamaha, but want to keep my options open. As far as the video side of the Marantz, I am not too concerned. I know the player has the chroma problem and I want a player with the Faroudja DCDi chipset. So I would be purchasing a seperate player for just video playback only. Maybe the Panny RP91. Anyway my main concern with this player is how good the audio performance is? It looks to be the cream of the crop as far as audio is concerned and Marantz has always had a very good reputation with audio quality. Can any of you comment on the players quality for sacd,dvd audio and redbood cd playback? Thanks a lot.

2. Tim Schwartz

Tim Schwartz Agent

Just to make your decision tougher, check this out:
    Marantz DV8400

I currently have the Yamaha, and overall it seems to be a pretty nice player but:

1. I've noticed a vibration in the unit when playing "Lord of the Rings". I'm extra gun shy about this because of a Yamaha DVD-C900 I bought years ago that was truly JUNK.
    2. It has no power on/off using the remote. Seeing as how I only have one switched outlet(which the Yamaha is now using), to use my NAD CD changer, I have to manually turn the unit on and off with its power button.
    3. I have noticed some flicker in the picture on certain DVDs.

I realize these are relatively trivial, but when spending a grand on a DVD player I expect close to perfection. The one piece of equipment that I own that has been "close to perfection" is my Marantz SR-18 receiver. That's why I'm somewhat partial.

Tim

PS The Marantz warranty is 3 years, Yamaha 1 year.

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yes Tim, now I am questioning myself on waiting. Thanks[​IMG] Just kidding, this is why I post these threads, for someone to point out what my options are. And when you say vibration in the unit, what exactly do you mean? Also, I might not be up on all the new technology, but what are all those inputs and outputs on the DV8400. I know what the DVI is for but what are the other ones used for. And I am with you, I am very partial to Marantz due to owning an SR-9200. I won't be buying another receiver for years.

4. Tim Schwartz

Tim Schwartz Agent

The vibration is only on the LOTR discs. It still seems to play fine, but there is a definite vibration in the player when I play both the actual movie disc and the additional features disc. I checked about 10 other discs and none of them had any vibration when played. It's almost like the LOTR discs are out of balance when they are spinning, and the player is unable to compensate. I'll try these discs in my old DVD player tonight and see if it behaves in the same manner. There is a thread over on the AVS forum about someone having a DVD-S2300 with vibration problems so bad that you could actually hear it. Mine's not that bad, but it still doesn't give me a good feeling about the player. I've had the player for about a week and a half, and I have 2 months to return it for a full refund. I'll probably return it, not because of some single glaring deficiency, but because of the numerous small ones I listed above. To be honest, I could probably live with them, I just don't think I should have to. I'm a bit wary about trying the new Denon 2900, when they have had so many lock-up issues with all of their 2800/3800 players, that's why I'm leaning towards Marantz.

Oh, about all of those connections, I think the RS-232 port might be for firmware upgradability. I have no idea about the rest. I would be waiting for the DV8400 in hope of improved bass management and Faroudja processing, if it's actually there like the post mentions.

Tim

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The print reviews I've seen of the 8300 all really liked it. But it does have the chroma bug, and the bass management isn't complete. But in the Secret's shootout, didn't do that well. So maybe audio rocks, and video is just typical of other Pioneer players.

Based on that 1st picture of the 8400 in the link, it might not have DVD-A. Although from the model number progression (8300 ... 8400), you'd think it would.

[Added] If you look really close at the front, it looks like for the DVD logo, it does have DVD then "Audio/Video".

Will be interesting to see if they get rid of the chroma bug... [​IMG]

I've seen the 8300 up close, and it is a beautiful player, seemingly very well built.

6. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Kevin and Jeff,
    I would agree the the 8300 is quite well built, and I really like it for SACD/DVD-Audio. It continues to be my personal multi-channel audio player.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

8. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, I don't have any experience with these tweaked players so I simply cannot say. Perhaps you should place this question on the main forum and see if anyone has some experience with these tweaked players. I too would be interested...

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The thing that makes me wonder, is aside from no measurements comparison, at other places on that site, they promote the (I thought many times previously debunked) practice of using a green marker to darken the edges of a CD to improve the sound! And other "tweaks" that don't make a lot of scientific (uh oh!) sense to me either... [​IMG]

10. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

If you have the money and want the best audio possible (in a universal player) than the Marantz is your best shot. I have one and love it. It sounds great with all formats. I use it as a CD transport for reb book and use the DACs in my Anthem. Sounds just as good as my old CD player the Sony SCD-777ES.

I have yet to hear anything about about the 8400 in the US. I cant see them going backwards and taking out DVD-A.

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thanks Brian. This would be the only thing I would be usin the player for. And at a $1600 price tag, it better be one heck of a good audio player. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours and where did you get it?

12. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

lexicon has one coming out, or maybe it is:

http://www.lexicon.com/rt10/index.asp

i would like rotel to come out with one...

im sure you are aware, denon has one coming out soon as well..

Rich

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Lex is also based on the Pioneer DV-47a kit...

And even the Yamaha? It uses a Pioneer-style remote. Pioneer has been using the same style remote for over 5 years. The Yamaha *is* based on a Panasonic player, but for some reason, it's got a Pioneer remote (just find a picture of the remote for the DV-525...)

I think the Denon will be a ground up design.

14. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thanks Brian. I totally understand where you are coming from.

16. Mark M

Mark M Auditioning

Here is the response I received from Lexicon on their universal player:

The RT-10 started shipping to Lexicon dealers on 2/28. The MSRP is $3495.

Has anyone see/heard this unit or read any reviews yet?

17. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

$3495????? Ouch. That is pretty steep. I think that I'll go with the Marantz for audio and the Panny for video.