What's new

How good is the new CS Ultra(w/ SS driver)? (1 Viewer)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I currently own a 20-39cs+ and I am thinking about getting the new CS-Ultra with the SS driver(I'm still within the return policy). The 20-39cs+ gives me plenty of bass but I wanted to know how much better the new CSU is than the 20-39cs+. Besides more SPL is it more accurate? Do you feel the new CSU be worth the extra money?

With the intro of the CS Plus, I didn't feel the Ultra had enough of a performance edge to justify the difference in price. Now the great guys at SVS are sticking their best woofer in the Ultra w/out any price change. They posted the info. on their site just a few days after I received my 20-39cs+. If I knew this before hand I might have just went ahead and gotten the Ultra to begin with.

If you guys persuade me to go with the Ultra, does anybody in the DC area want a 20-39CS Plus for the B-Stock price of $540?

Cam S

Screenwriter
GO FOR IT!! That SS sub is a serious piece of metal. I doubt you would regret going with it!

RajeeK

Second Unit
That SS sub is a serious piece of metal
I'm sure you probably know this, but the SS is a custom made wooden, not metal enclosure.;)
I can't find the link right now, since Tom/Ron updated their website, but it shows the comparison with/without port blockers for the ultra and plus series, so you can compare. I think the ultra curve was with the old driver, but I know Tom has mentioned the new driver provides about 1-2 more dB over the curve for the new ultra. If that is worth it to you, go for it. But personally, seems to be quite a jump in cost for a slight gain. Now if you are having problems with "bottoming" your plus, I would go for it, but if not, I wouldn't.
Anyone know where that link is to show how the curve changes with the port blockers?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
No bottoming out so far, but my room is only 12'x11'x8'(HxWxD). I don't know if there is a rule of thumb, but how much woof is needed per cubic foot?

In about 2-3 months my house will be finished being built. My HT system is moving to the basement, where it will be in a room that's 15.5"x22.75"x10'(LxWxH) with no back wall. The back of the room opens another room which is 40'x39'x10' (LxWxH).

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
I say if you can afford it go for it. It will probably cure you of "upgraditis" for many years to come. FWIW I read a quote somewhere that said the CS+ is about 80% percent of the performance of the Ultra series. So I imagine with the newer badder driver there will even be more of an improvement. :)

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
You're not going to fill the space in your new house with a single sub--not even the SS driver. My vote would be to add another CS+ and keep the one you've got.

--Steve

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
You're not going to fill the space in your new house with a single sub--not even the SS driver. My vote would be to add another CS+ and keep the one you've got.
--Steve
If price is no object then get 2 CS Ultras!!! :D
I agree with Steve though... bang for the buck you would be better served to buy another of the CS+ series and use that other channel to push it. If you stack them together this will give you appox. a 6 dB increase in overall output. More than the gain you would see by going up to the SS driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks