How good is the Cables America component video switcher?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Adams, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I know component video switchers have been covered in the past but I am just wanting feedback on one specific model,The Cables America 2 to 4 component video switcher. I am specifically interested on how well it will convert hdtv images and progressive scan images from my Denon 1600 dvd player.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have no experience with that unit. I can tell you to look for about 50 Mhz bandwidth to be compatible with a progressive scan DVD player, but you want 90-100 Mhz bandwidth to handle 720/1080 images.

Do you have a link or any technial specs?

3. DavidK

DavidK Extra

Jeff,
    I own the Cablesamerica 4x2 switch and have posted on this switch on the AVS "HDTV Hardware" forum in the thread: "New component switch at BestBuy for $99. Seven inputs!". You can review this thread to get a good perspective on several dif component switch recommendations.

I've had no problems with image degradation for HDTV/etc and feel this switch is a great value - especially since it has 2 outputs & a remote control too.

For those interested, below are the audio.video specs as listed in the accompanying literature:

Video bandwidth: >250Mhz, +/- 3db
    Video distortion: 50db

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

DavidK,
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Man, there were a ton of posts regarding this issue. I think I am going with the Inday. It seems to be what I am looking for at a very reasonable price. Something that I was reading though said that if the inputs are changed via remote and not manually there could be some issues. Is this true?