How good is the AC in your car or truck?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Why don't you know?

All other specs seem to be available. You would not buy AC, central or room, for your home without determining the best size and efficancy. So why not in your ride?

A small pickup and a large van have vastly different cubic footages to cool. You may be in Oregon or South Texas, that makes a difference.

When comparing vehicles you might want to know which had the kick ass air, well, sorry, it's a secret.

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Jim ... timely question for us easterners this week.

I have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's (95 & 96) and all I can say is both AC's are shot. My neighbor has a Concorde and his AC is not working. What's up with Chrysler AC reliability?

For my Jeeps ... I've been recharging periodically with a can of 134a and that does the trick for aboout 2 months ... then I only get warm air again. Seems obvious I have a system refrigerant leak ... but starnge to have the same trouble on so many Chryslers.

Anyway, I've got to take them in this month and I know it's gonna be $$$ for repair. Any one have advice or experience here?

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I bought my first new car last year, a Montero Sport (all my other vehicles had been used) and the AC was the first thing I tested (actually the second, the first being the starter motor). [​IMG]
    The Montero Sport SEEMS to have a good AC system, but it does take a while to cool off a big interior.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

My Fiero has the best AC of any car or truck I've ever been in. Of course, it doesn't have a lot of volume it has to cool [​IMG]
    I'm pretty happy about my AC in my pickup. But again, even with an extended cab, there's not a lot of air volume to cool.
    I don't think there are different ACs for different cars, so interior size is probably the best indicator of AC efficiency.

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

The AC in my '98 Mitsubishi Mirage and '02 Nissan Frontier run great.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Gettin a new car in October, cant wait because the compressor in my 1988 acura is shot. I get no air at all. It was 91 this week (of course it was 40 today, gotta love nebraska)

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've owned something like 20 air conditioned vehicles in the last 30 years. The GM products have consistently had the most effective AC systems, Japanese cars of Corolla or smaller size consistently the weakest.

Overall best was in a 91 Chevy Lumina, worst a tossup between an 87 Corolla and my current 2001 Nissan Sentra.

I live in Fresno CA, where temps are above 95 every day from late May to late Ocober, with weeks on end in July and August over 100.

BTW, somewhere under the hood of every new vehicle is a decal that tells the refrigerant capacity of the AC system.

This sticker may be on the top radiator support or on the compressor or underside of the hood.

Although this does vary, as a general rule the more refrigerant the system holds, the higher it's capacity to cool the car.

The smaller the interior volume the better, and color does matter--white cars are best, black or red worst.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

The AC in my 2000 Mustang works really well, and it can get quite frigid when I've got the top up. And it also keeps the cabin cool when the top is down, which is nice.

Heater works well too. Lots of fun driving around with the top down at night, using the heater to keep my girlfriends feet toasty.

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys...
    I own an Expedition and an Excursion and both vehicles have DUAL AC units. One in front and one in back. Down here in New Orleans the summers can be pretty unbearable. I will not purchase another SUV without dual ac's. You would not believe how fast they can cool down a vehicle. Just my opinion...but it seems to me that if both units are cooling at the same time, each unit has to work half as much to cool the entire vehicle. Not so much in the Expedition, but the last seat in the Excursion is in a separate Zip code from the front seats, and the separate unit is almost a must. They also have dual controls...the set up front can control both units or send local control to the rear set of controls for rear passengers to adjust themselves. I can actually get the temperature in the Expy down to 51 degrees in the evenings...
    I Love both my vehicles...and their AC units!!!
    My .02
    TK
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I have a 1998 Full Size Montero (not the "Sport") and it's A/C has a really hard time trying to cool down the interior. The 115 degree heat out here in Vegas doesn't help much either.

The truck is pretty large and with all the glass, it acts like a rolling greenhouse sometimes.

The A/C in my 2001 Neon seems to be working pretty well so far.

12. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

My 99 Mercedes Benz S-420 has dual automatic climate control. It's pretty sophisticated and very effective but very expensive to repair. So far I haven't had any problems with mine.

BTW, I think the whole dual idea is pretty silly.

13. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger and the AC works great, but in the winter it takes the truck at least 15 min of highway driveing before the engine heats up enough to put out decent heat. Leaveing it idle in the driveway for 20+ minute's only helps a small bit. I only work about 10 min from home so its not even worth turning it on.

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have a '98 Nissan Altima SE and the air is really too cold. And reversely, the heat is ultra hot. I rarely push the lever all the way into the blue or red.. and hardly ever move the fan switch past the lowest setting. (unless I am just running out to warm my car up.. then I set all gauges for "nuclear")

15. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

16. Michael St. Clair

My Miata has great A/C. But then, think of how few cubic feet are in the passenger compartment to cool.

17. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

2001 Lexus IS300.
    I can see "my breath" when I crank up my A/C... [​IMG]
    scott.