How good is Sony's G-shock protection or is any shock protection device?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think I've given up on the portable MP3 player, it seems most of them are still very expensive. How about the portable CD player - how good are those buffers? Do they still buffer about 5-seconds of music or has that increased any?

Would need to handle the rigors of light mountain bike trails... I'd probably go with earphones but only when off-road. I have a ton of Sony Points I could use on this so that is why I asked about the Sony G-protection scheme but I'm open to suggestions on the best one out there too...

Jay

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

MiniDisc portables are excellent! And the new NetMD portables allow you to transfer MP3's from your computer at high speed. The G-Shock works great with the Sony units. I've never had a disc skip on my MZR700 while running around or biking.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

MD units are generally more shock-worthy than CD players, and most of them have a minimum of 10 seconds buffering (40 seconds is more typical). Some portable CD players also have 40 second buffers, but there's more to shock protection than the size of the buffer. If the drive mechanism is poorly isolated and susceptible to skips, the player may have difficulty tracking well enough to fill the 40 second buffer.

The best bet is to look for a decent quality player (rare these days with lightweight plastic portables), with a decent buffer size. If you can, play with one in the store--shake it continuously a la jogging while it plays to see if it has any difficulties. Alternatively, buy a player and plan to return it if it doesn't work out.

KJP

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

if portable mp3 players are too expensive for you than minidiscs might also be a little too much. You might want to check out portable cd/mp3 players from Sonic Blue (rio) or normal cd players from panasonic and sony.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Actually the prices for portable MD players has dropped drastically. I bought my MZR700 a year ago for $230. The new MZN505--a Net MD unit--can be had for about $135. An 80 minute blank MiniDisc (about two bucks each) can hold up to 320 minutes of music at its highest compression level.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The G-protection by sony is a GREAT antishock protection device... seriouly, you can shake it for 10 minutes and it wont skip... its amazing... ask if you can demo it at your local electronics store... it does work, totally skipfree...

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The G-shock protection is excellent! You can go jogging with a Sony CD player, and it won't skip. I've driven several hundred (highway) miles with one minor skip. I've biked with it, and no skips.

I've been wholly impressed with the Sony CD players. Even better, it's very robust even with G-Shock turned off.

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks guys, I'll have to go over to a bunch of the electronics stores and start shaking them all. [​IMG]
    The NetMD players seem about $30-$50 more than the basic portable CD players but then you'll also have to buy the MDs themselves. I think the CD would be the most ideal. I already have an el-cheapo CD player that skips if you look at it too hard in the lab where I work, so it would be convenient to just take the CD's off my bike and bring it inside so I can listen to it. (And drown out the dude who likes to sing to 80's music like "Walk like an Egyption" and anything Meatloaf.. Jeez, he drives me up the wall)
    Jay

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I will say this: I am pretty much convinced that the signals from pagers and mobile phones can interfere with the playback laser on MD's, assuming it's really close by. I've found my MD will only skip if it happens to be next to/near my phone...

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I have an iRiver Slimx IMP-350 , the thing is solid, I can use it as a frisbee and it doesn't skip. A bit pricey. I have seen them as low as $164.00. It goes with me everywhere.

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Jay, why not pickup an inexpensive MP3 player and add memory later on? You can buy MP3 players that take fairly standard flash memory for ~$100. You might only get 64MB to begin with, but you can always buy more down the road.

13. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I love Panasonic. I feel they out do Sony in every way for portable CD players. My Panasonic never skips, and is quite nice. It's small as well. Only cost me $175 last summer. The "SL-CT580." I'm not sure what's out now, but I bet their great.
    As for MD, sony's nice.[​IMG]

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have Sony's 1st G-Shock discman and it still works great. I've sent it flying after slamming on the brakes several times, dropped it etc... and it never skipped. And even better, I always have G-Protection turned off. One thing that does bug me though is how they limit the bass when it really hits for the sake of battery longevity. But my trips are normally long drives so it's worth it in the long run (saying in Bob Vila's voice). Not a big deal I assure you.
    I usually tend to stay away from Sony audio, but they still dominate in the portables world.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK folks, I wound up buying a Sony CD player with the G-shock thing and it came with a cassette adaptor and a remote control link for the dashboard. I've used it in the back pocket of my bike jersey and it works great, no skips at all. The headset is painful though, you can't seem to wear the behind-the-neck headphones with sunglasses. Hurts the tops of your ear after awhile. I'm thinking of rigging up some small speakers to a mini-plug and mount that on my bike. Then I can bungee cord the CD player to my rack and then we'll really see how good the skip protection is. Jay