What's new

How good is SG1 really? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
After asking HTF for advice over B5 I got it and loved the entire series! Now I've read quite a bit about SG1 but have never seen it. I did watch the movie but I understand it has little to do with the series.

Is it a good series? It has been on the air for quite a while now so it must have a fan base.

JohnMR

Agent
I love it. I own season 1-6 on DVD and have a pre order in for season 7. Season 8 started last night. I have watch the DVD's more times then I can count.

JMR

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The film fits in very well with the series, apart from some minor inconsistencies - I just dont think the series went in the direction the original creators wanted to.

I would say SG1 is very enjoyable though I did not think it is as good as Farscape or Babylon 5. However, apart from the opening 2 episodes and the final episode, Season 1 has some really poor episodes and most of the season is average at best. It is essential to watch though as many elements of the series are introduced here and pop up again in future seasons.

I'm only up to Season 4 myself and I have enjoyed it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
It's a good show- better than what passes for Trek these days anyways.

Season 6 is particularly good- I can't wait for S7 to hit DVD.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's funny - ok odd. I didn't like 6 because of the character change.

But all in all - if you liked the movie and 'want' more, you should dig in. The pilot was fantastic (but wasn't typical of all of the other episodes). When I think about it, they probably cut that part out for Sci-Fi channel.

Anyway, try to watch them in order. They do pick stuff up as the seasons roll by. I did like Voyager and Enterprise, but SG-1 is way better, IMO.

A few episodes looked as though they were running out of money, but the series is unique, and great!

Glenn

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
It is evident that the SciFi channel imposed serious budgetary restrictions on the show in Season 6; it's less evident, but still apparent in Season 7. You can tell because the focus shifts from going to different worlds with the Stargate to various political/alien situations on Earth or in settings not-too-distinguishable from Earth.

In many cases, especially in Season 6, you had to question why they were calling the show "Stargate" anymore, because they didn't seem to use the damn thing.

That said, SG-1 is probably the most consistently *good* science fiction series of the past twenty years (I'm a huge B-5 fan, but JMS was getting damned tired toward the end, and it was noticable). I haven't bought Season 6 (and I'm not sure I'm going to; I was that disappointed in it), but Season 7 was great and Season 8 looks interesting so far.

I'd never seen the show before; I picked Season One up as a blind buy on the reccomendation of (late) net personality Gharlane of Eddore, whose opinions on science fiction I respected a great deal; both my wife and I were captivated, and haven't turned back.

Take the jump. You will enjoy it. Season One is decent, but seasons Two through Five are quite a ride...

cole_b

Agent
I got the first disc of the first season from the library, and couldn't make it through the pilot. but that's just me.

if you want to try it out, you can just turn on Sci-Fi. sometimes it seems like it's the only program (aside from bad movies) they have anymore.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw the pilot the day it originally aired and didn't think too highly of it. Still, after hearing all the praise, I recently purchased the first box set. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. If it only gets better from here, I'm in for some good times. In fact, since I'm closing in on the end of season 1, I'm going to pick up season 2 later tonight.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
SG1 is a strange show...the overall plot is very good but the endings are always convenient ALA Star Trek...but on this show it doesn't seem to matter a bit.

Season 1 had bombastic music that was almost annoying. But it gets better and better each year.

As I said, its a strange show, it has a continually progressing plotline which is good, but the show to show seems to repeat...

Still love to watch it and they are not really afraid to change things up either. Last nights premier cleared up a whole lotta things and left the show to go into a somewhat new direction. Of course that clearing up of things, also, was very convenient.

Some of what you could complain about Trek(repeating resolutions to problems), doesn't seem to matter. The casting is good as is the air of the show. Last night was a bit over the top in that regards but some eps are like that.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Another great thing about SG-1 is they care about continuity and there own canon. The writing has stayed consistently good, and the cast really appears to enjoy doing the show. The other appeal is that the show never seems to take itself too seriously. I love it and am probably biased.:D

Eric F

Screenwriter
I liked Season 6 because the writing was consistantly good, and has been, even though they toned down on the FX.

I also like how they're not afraid to use elements from shows 3 or more seasons past.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
It's watchable. I wouldn't buy it though, the acting from "Mcguiver" is hammy, the plot is basically the same every week (visit and help free slaves from a backwards civilization that just happens to look & speak human)

Fairly good sci-fi, but not in equal to B5, Farscape, Seasons 1-3 of Buffy (OK not sci-fi but still a good TV series) Far better than Andromeda & Xena which is dire IMO!

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
It's watchable. I wouldn't buy it though, the acting from "Mcguiver" is hammy, the plot is basically the same every week (visit and help free slaves from a backwards civilization that just happens to look & speak human)

Fairly good sci-fi (not as dire as Xena, Andromeda, Hercules), but not in equal to B5, Farscape, Seasons 1-3 of Buffy (OK not sci-fi but still a good TV series)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I started watching SG-1 with the first season release on DVD and i love the show. Its a lot of fun and one of my fav scifi shows. There are a bunch of "Help free slaves" and such in the first few seasons but to me it worked towards the set up of the series. Lots of different sub plots and guest charectors show up which reminded me a lot of DS9. People mention a few seasons had less gate travel stuff. If you noticed as the series progressed SG-1 are the big experts as they have done the most stuff. So they pretty much are involved in all the big stuff now, and all the regular first exploration missions go to other teams

capt

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Okay, I paged through the Season 6 episode list, trying to figure out why I had such a bad impression of Season 6 while others seem to be praising it, and I found that almost the entire second half of the season was filled with my least favorite episodes of the series: Smoke and Mirrors, Sight Unseen, Paradise Lost, Disclosure, and Forsaken. The writers seemed to be clueless about the characters, and the actors seemed to be going through the motions.

Ordinarily, with these episodes interspersed between stronger episodes, I might not have had such a bad taste in my mouth, but at the time it was like there were months of chaff and absolutely no wheat. If I recall correctly, the series' original creators left after Season Five, and it's probable that the writers were strgugling with that fact.

I think Brad Wright returned during Season 7, which may have been why it was better, IMO.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

That's because they are human. The Gua'old took people from this planet thousands of years ago as slaves, and seeded them around the galaxy. As to speaking our language, in a 1 hour T.V. show you have to allow some liberties otherwise it would be 2 min of going thru the gate and 8 seasons of learning a single language. Its the same on every sci-fi t.v. show, with the exception of Farscape who used "translator microbes" to overcome it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Short and sweet: my wife and I think SG-1 is terrific. We're looking forward to Stargate: Atlantis. We recommend it.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
SG-1 is the only series I have collected in individual (i.e., 4 episodes per disc) releases in region 2, followed up by boxed sets in region 1. I didn't even do that with Buffy or Angel or Farscape, some of my other top favorites. I couldn't really tell you why, I just really connected with this show and I love it. There are certainly some glitches in the mythology, but overall, the show has made a real effort to tell a cohesive story over 7 seasons.

Stargate Atlantis promises to be very cool. I saw a rough cut of the Atlantis pilot, with sketched in FX, and it looks amazing.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What I didn't like about season 6 was that Daniel Jackson wasn't around much, and don't ask me why, but I'm not that fond of his replacement.

I'm sooo glad that Michael Shanks came back.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks