How good is Planetside?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blu, May 30, 2003.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm very curious about this game.
    I've read some reviews but would like to hear some hands on comments.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Planetside, being run by Sony Online Entertainment, has poor customer service.

I swear, the developers of the game do not use any kind of source code revision control system...they release a patch that fixes a bug, and a week later they release another patch that reintroduces the bug! For example, last week they fixed case-sensitive player tells, and now, in the last patch, player tells are case-sensitive again!

Couple that with the fact that 70% of the player population (including myself), in the last 3 days, experience common game lockups without any acknowledgement by the developer, and you're looking at a piss-poor run game. Heavy battles will result in lockups several times an hour for most people. I've seen many of my squadmates go link dead, and then asking to be let into the squad 10 minutes later when they manage to log back in again.

Why oh why doesn't Sony do a rollback to the last patch, instead of pissing off all their customers? Here's my guess: They can't because they are inept. They probably DON'T have the previous version of the client/server software. Being a software developer myself, I'll shout "incompetence". I have enough pride in my work to never unleash such crap on my customers. *shakes fist*

Just today, the president of SOE finally apologized for their screwup, and finally acknowledged that they introduced a problem. This after 3 days of customer service insisting everyones PCs are overheating or misconfigured. [​IMG]

The game can be fun, but I'm really disappointed at how they tend to reintroduce bugs that were fixed in previous patches. Also, the lack of problem acknowledgement on their own forums has instilled a distinct lack of confidence in the player base. It doesn't help when the east coast server, called Emerald, has had numerous complaints of terrible lag and disconnects. If you are living on the East Coast, stay away from this server, use the other one! Planetside cannot handle more than 2500 people at once without causing trouble.

Currently, gameplay involves musical bases...one empire takes a base, the "defending" empire retreats and takes back a different base that the previous empire had just left. This is a direct result of no rewards for base defense. It's like playing American football, actually.

I'd wait a couple of months, and see if they improve their customer service. I would also wait until they implement a method of testing their patches. Apparently, it's up to the paying customers to test it, and not Sony. [​IMG]

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

BTW, I base my comments on 30+ hours of playing the retail release, and 30+ hours of beta playing.

My 7 day free trial for the retail release just expired last night (averaging 5 hours a day of playing retail). I decided to not buy the game, pending the resolution of the issues I brought up in my previous post. Namely, poor customer service and incompetent patch handling.